• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cleopatra is laying!

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
WOW!!! Oh that poor little momma...falling asleep before she was done....thanks so much for sharing pics!
So I guess you breed her on purpose?
How old is she? How big is she?
Nope. We wouldn't have bred her on purpose. She's too skinny and frail. We tried to keep her away from the male, but when Cass wound up pregnant and laid... we had to temporarily house them together while she was recovering. We never witnessed a mating, but it would be about the right time frame from Cass' second clutch. She's 2, so she's a good age for it. She's probably 14 in from tip of nose to tip of tail, I'd have to weigh her now that she's laid. I am curious though.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
awww...I loved the pictures! Poor little girl wore me out just looking at them.
Wore me out Taking care of her in there! I've never seen it take so long, poor thing. I was worried she wasn't going to make it through the birthing.

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
Dang...keep us posted on how momma and the eggs are doing. I don't think I will ever let Sunkiss breed...but since she is a female she might make unfertilized eggs...I read that somewhere...I hope not though.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Dang...keep us posted on how momma and the eggs are doing. I don't think I will ever let Sunkiss breed...but since she is a female she might make unfertilized eggs...I read that somewhere...I hope not though.
Sure :) I've got the two clutches from Castiel cookin in the incubator as well. Had to take out the eggs I was pretty sure weren't going to make it to term to make room :( there really wasn't any good sense in hanging on to them, but I was thinking just in case... I would hate to get rid of it and have it hatch-able. Would break my heart.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Double checked the eggs today, and they're ALL completely fertile :D. If I can keep them humid enough. I don't like this incubator :(

Momma is lookin a little better, but has been periodically digging. She won't eat either without some serious pushing. She doesn't seem to be frantic, so I don't think she's egg bound, but maybe a double clutch in there? I don't know.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Cleopatra is going to the vet again on Saturday, we have an appointment. Different exotic vet this time, maybe we can get her back in good health from that clutch! Eggs are all still looking good with some tlc, hopefully these ones will all hatch.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got thinking about your incubator issues & don't say much because I have never experienced it myself. But do feel that incubators are not designed to be opened as frequently as it sounds that you do. It does sound like you are in there almost everyday peeking at the eggs. I have gotten the impression from most, that checking a couple times a month is lots, other than peeking through the window, that most have, without opening it. If it is being opened as frequently as it sounds, I believe that may be a big part of the problem. Just speculating, again I have no experience.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I got thinking about your incubator issues & don't say much because I have never experienced it myself. But do feel that incubators are not designed to be opened as frequently as it sounds that you do. It does sound like you are in there almost everyday peeking at the eggs. I have gotten the impression from most, that checking a couple times a month is lots, other than peeking through the window, that most have, without opening it. If it is being opened as frequently as it sounds, I believe that may be a big part of the problem. Just speculating, again I have no experience.
I agree, and you would think so! It has a window though, so my *peeking in* mostly is done without opening the door. I have to open it almost 2x/wk to put water in it and tend to the eggs because they're getting dried out. The instructions say that you're supposed to check it once a day to see if you need to refill it. That's why I was hoping someone would have some advice on a different one, because the eggs shouldn't need this much tending to if the humidity levels were keeping up, and the heat remained constant. Just last night I looked over and the thermostat read 71 degrees, and it wasn't that cold last night. The temp on this thing is off by almost 10 degrees, so I worry they're getting too cold. By morning it was back up above 80, and right now it reads 88. It's set at 95 and it has yet to reach that temperature, since it's off by 10 degrees that would put them incubating right about 85.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Do you not have a lid on the containers holding the eggs?
As far as I know, you're not supposed to. The water at the bottom is supposed to keep the humidity at appropriate levels where you don't need them. If I put lids on them, do you think that would fix the issue?

Zen ReptileZ

Juvenile Dragon
As far as I know, you're not supposed to. The water at the bottom is supposed to keep the humidity at appropriate levels where you don't need them. If I put lids on them, do you think that would fix the issue?

Yes, the lid should fix the issue. You just want to keep the medium appropriately moist. Also, put a digital thermometer in the medium inside the container with lid closed. My temps are usually higher inside the container than the air in the incubator. I open the container once a week to allow for air exchange.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, the lid should fix the issue. You just want to keep the medium appropriately moist. Also, put a digital thermometer in the medium inside the container with lid closed. My temps are usually higher inside the container than the air in the incubator. I open the container once a week to allow for air exchange.
No holes then?

Zen ReptileZ

Juvenile Dragon
I don't use holes. You can poke a few small ones if you would like. Just keep checking the moisture levels :) I peek through the window daily and open the container to candle and air out weekly.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I don't use holes. You can poke a few small ones if you would like. Just keep checking the moisture levels :) I peek through the window daily and open the container to candle and air out weekly.
I appreciate it. Thank you and Germ. I'll start using lids after I pick up some extra thermometers tomorrow.

Zen ReptileZ

Juvenile Dragon
No problem! I wish you much success! I have geckos in the cooker right now and I'm just like a kid waiting for christmas! The first one of the season should be here any day now.. yayyy! I have them in the Hovabator as well, they are kinda iffy, but affordable incubators. They are primarily made for fowl eggs so I disregard the helpful information included.. lol.. They can barely explain how to put it together let alone how we are going to hatch our reptiles.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is the infertile egg that used for my version of a candling tutorial about 2 weeks ago. I was just about to toss when I thought, I wonder how long it will keep? I simply placed it on top of my roach bin which is in the vicinity of 85F. No holes. I just took some pics. There is now a small amount of fuzz forming, time to toss it.

egg004.jpg
egg002.jpg

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
No problem! I wish you much success! I have geckos in the cooker right now and I'm just like a kid waiting for christmas! The first one of the season should be here any day now.. yayyy! I have them in the Hovabator as well, they are kinda iffy, but affordable incubators. They are primarily made for fowl eggs so I disregard the helpful information included.. lol.. They can barely explain how to put it together let alone how we are going to hatch our reptiles.
We've been thinkin on getting a gargoyle :D love the look of them, and the personality. Congrats in advance on your babies! I've noticed that about most of the included 'helpful' info on beardies... not so helpful and you have to learn by trial and error. As well as the pet stores and vets... I've received more help on this forum then I ever received from the "professionals".

Reactions: Jp

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you :) She wasn't healthy enough yet to be a mommy, so it took a lot out of her.

Latest posts