• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chucks's accident

chucks parents

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Even as I write this several hours later it's hard. Chuck's ok, but we had an accident today. Some of you may remember that our viv had a glass top originally. We changed out part of the top with mesh/metal, the part under the lights, but the very front part that opened, was still glass. We thought that everything that came in touch with the heat light was metal, but apparently the dome on the basking light was touching or to close to the glass top in the front of the viv. Maybe it was just ours, but I thought I would post this, one to make me feel better and two to warn everyone. The dome was too close to the little piece of glass on the top, in the front of his cage and it broke under the heat. It broke into his viv.... Just typing this is upsetting... It fell into Chuck's cage and amputated his baby toe. We took him to the Vet and after a huge hit to the bank account we found out that we had done everything right with cleaning his wound and putting antibiotic ointment on it. It looks like he will be fine, but mommy is really upset...... :( :( I can't believe the glass just broke... He is eating and acting normal minus a toe.. He ate about 20 crickets today despite the accident he has been behaving normally. The Vet said he should be fine and that we should just keep putting the antibiotic ointment on it and he should have a full recovery minus the toe of course.... If anyone has any other advice I would be happy to hear it.... I feel horrible.....

Thanks for listening,
Chuck's mommy, Linda

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh my thank god he is OK !! this happened to us but it broke outside the viv when we lifted it off, from the heat as well.

Just remember, there is nothing wrong with a 9 toed dragon !!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just keep him like before, love him, feed him, and when you bath him, allow drinking time, then change out the water, and bath for 5 minutes with a drop or two of bedatine iodine.
janie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks goodness, Chuck is ok. How horrible. I've never heard of this. You may want to consider getting a hood for your viv. It has all the light fixtures and doesn't allow any risk of lights heating up glass.

I think the vet gave you great advice. It is sad, but many lizards loose their toes and survive just fine.

Give kisses to Chuck for us!

chucks parents

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you all for your support.... I couldn't believe it either the glass was really thick and it's tank glass should have been fine since the light wasn't on it just next to it, but I guess I was wrong.. :( :( Chuck appears to be fine this morning and has already eaten 10 crickets and some greens. He appears to be handling it better than mommy. I just want to hold him and cuddle and make it all better.... I'm not doing that....well not to much..... My husband replaced all the glass with mesh so Chuck should be safe now... We are very thankful it could have been so much worse.

Thanks again for your support,
Linda (Chuck and Razz's Mommy)

chucks parents

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Just to update.... Chuck seems just fine. He's eating and playing... His foot appears to be healing just fine and he still seem to love his mommy ;D....

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wonderful news! Thanks for the update. It's great to hear how they are doing!

Latest posts