• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Checklist for new beardie

Hazzaram

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone. I'm getting a baby beardie next month sometime. Right now she's only 6 days old!

I need to get everything set up in advance and I'm going out tomorrow to buy everything. Let me know if I'm missing something.

29 gallon tank (have it. Temporary until my 55 gal is empty and she's bigger)
Screen lid
Light hood
Reptisun uvb light
Basking light
Light for 'cold' side
Decor (climbing stuff, hides)
Basking platform (going to use bricks)
Substrate (paper towel)
Thermometer
Temp gun (have it)
Food bowl
Water bowl

Am I missing anything? Her main staple is going to be reptiworms with ocassional crickets, and then of course salads.

This is her on the left (at least he thinks it's a girl).
uploadfromtaptalk1436995516341.jpeg

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lighting is not my forte - hope someone else will pick that up. you dont need a light for the 'cold' side - the light will provide heat, the cold side is to allow your beardie the opportunity to regulate her own body temp. if your house gets below 65 deg F a night, get a CHE heat bulb - these do not put out any light. it keeps your beardie from getting too cold and lets them sleep better (cuz there's no light) babies will typically eat a log of protein their first few months - i might not provide that much reptiworm - i'm thinking more crickets. you gonna feed her maybe 10 to 15 crickets 3 times a day (as many as she will eat in 15 minutes) She probably wont eat her greens much right away - offer them daily tho - ya never know. CONGRATULATIONS !! Do you have a name for her yet?

Hazzaram

Bearded Dragon Egg
lighting is not my forte - hope someone else will pick that up. you dont need a light for the 'cold' side - the light will provide heat, the cold side is to allow your beardie the opportunity to regulate her own body temp. if your house gets below 65 deg F a night, get a CHE heat bulb - these do not put out any light. it keeps your beardie from getting too cold and lets them sleep better (cuz there's no light) babies will typically eat a log of protein their first few months - i might not provide that much reptiworm - i'm thinking more crickets. you gonna feed her maybe 10 to 15 crickets 3 times a day (as many as she will eat in 15 minutes) She probably wont eat her greens much right away - offer them daily tho - ya never know. CONGRATULATIONS !! Do you have a name for her yet?
Thanks for your help!!!

My house doesn't get below 65 so I guess I'm okay. It stays a steady 74-75 so I guess I don't need a Che. I will definitely monitor the temps though.

I don't have a name! I'm thinking something floral-ish. I have a thing for floral names. My female brazilian rainbow boa is named Willow.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I honestly think her main protein should be the crickets or dubia...something that will hone her hunting skills and she can chase and get some exercise and keep her active both mentally and physically.

Hazzaram

Bearded Dragon Egg
I honestly think her main protein should be the crickets or dubia...something that will hone her hunting skills and she can chase and get some exercise and keep her active both mentally and physically.

Roaches are a no go. I can't even look at them and since I'm in a small town, there aren't any available here anyway. She will get a lot of crickets, just not every day. I can't keep them in the house but I'm planning on giving them to her whenever I go to the petstore (which is a lot since I have a dog, 2 cats, 3 snakes... haha).

Hazzaram

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just found out roache's are actually illegal here so that's why I haven't been finding them!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I just found out roache's are actually illegal here so that's why I haven't been finding them!

You must be in FL then. Dubia are illegal but other types of roaches are okay I think. I'm with you though they creep me out. I tried using them a few times but can't get over the ick factor.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There are some roaches you can buy from Cape Cod Roaches. Brett Hutchenson I think his name is has Discoids which are Florida Legal. ;)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Actually I'm in Canada! I was just told they're illegal all across the country.

Sorry I forget we have members in other countries. I'm so used to the FL people saying they can't get roaches.

Latest posts