• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Changing enclosure.

jager

Hatchling Dragon
Hi all! I recently completed making a basking platform for my guy. I put it in his tank yesterday and he has no interest in it at all. The only time he has gone on it is when I have placed him there. Within a few minutes he get off. He has a little bed in there that I threw together for him a while ago (just a lid from a box and a pillow case) he LOVES it. The platform I made is to big to keep the bed near it so I put his bed on the other side. He only wants to lay on his bed which is fine but since its on the cool side, I have to move it.

Since we first got him he has always had a hammock, we have purchased larger ones as he grew. The last one we bought is enormous, way to big for his tank but he needed a basking spot so I had to fix it a bit. Problem with that is there is a gap between the glass and the hammock so he uses that gap as his escape route. I was concerned about him hurting himself, hence the new platform.

Just shortly after I turned his lights on this morning and he decided to move his beard was pretty black. He very rarely ever has a black beard. I picked him up and cuddled for a bit and it returned to normal. I don't want to stress him out so I am going to replace his hammock for now. I am Going to tweak the platform a bit and raise it some more so its closer to his bulb and try to figure out a way to add the bed to it.

My question (after rambling for a bit :)) is how long does it generally take for them to get used to a change in environment. I am not keen on his set up and want to improve it, I would like to add some fake plants. I also do not want to remove his favorite spot (his bed). Is adding a bed to his basking platform a good or bad idea, assuming I can pull it off. Is it better to have a solid place for basking, is a "blanket" for him to lay on while basking a bad idea?
Thank you in advance for any suggestions, critiques, advice :)

This is the new platform.
uploadfromtaptalk1432049093615.jpg

jager

Hatchling Dragon
I know, I feel badly. I have put his hammock back in and moved his bed back to where it was. I still would like to change it up a bit, make it more attractive and natural looking. I am brainstorming to try to figure something out without disrupting him to much.

drzebra

Juvenile Dragon
I wouldn't necessarily feel bad about it, but don't expect the dragon to applaud right away. He'll get used to it and then get mad at you next time you change it.

Latest posts