• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chameleon habitat

Lasen72

Juvenile Dragon
i finally got around to working on a new habitat for my chameleon, Thanos. Poor thing has been in a pretty small cage for too long. I found a really nice TV cabinet that would give him a whole lot more room. I've still got a lot of work to do but he seems to be enjoying it so far. He didn't seem too fond of me putting Dooku in there for a few minutes, as seen in picture, you can see him giving Dooku the backwards stink eye, haha
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

beeneufe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Looks great, might add a few more vines and hides near the top. I know mine gets stressed when he doesn't have walls of plants to glare at me from and a million escape routes :)
Also, how does it drain?
I would not recommend putting your beardie in there. I know my vet always asks if my beardie and cham have been in contact and stresses to keep them separate and wash my hands before holding the other one. Chams are lone wolves and putting another lizard in his enclosure probably didn't make him super happy!

Lasen72

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks guys, @beeneufe this was just the beginning of the project, the plant has grown a whole lot, and given a lot more hides, plus I have added more. As far as draining I don't have it drain. I have the dripper positioned over the plant so when he drinks it's in the plant, I have a tray to catch the water as it drains from the plant, I also use paper towels as a substrate, so the moisture that come off the plant help with the humidity. Took me a while to get the lighting and heat right because of the size but it worked out well when I got it figured out.
As far as the dragon goes, that was the one and only time he's ever been in there. They both have very large habitats, I only did that for a picture. My Cham hates everything and everyone, haha.

beeneufe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ahh I see, just making sure! I have seen some rather sketchy cham enclosures floating around...
My cage is about the same size and heating is a nightmare, especially in winter (I live in Canada). Having some drainage is nice to help get the water out from misting. If you do decide to add on to your project, this is a pretty decent guide on making your own drainage table. It's for multiple cages but has the basics for a singular one.

The mesh enclosures make it tough to keep the heat and moisture in. Us cham owners really like to torture ourselves with such finnicky pets.
He is a Jackson's yes? His colours look really nice! I have an adult male veiled... I feel your pain with the hate. Not quite as friendly and welcoming as beardies are they?

Would love to see the final product when it's done!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
When I first got my cham cage we rigged up a drip system where it dripped into a plant on top of the cage that dripped onto a large plastic bowl with holes in it and we would empty the bowl each night. When we got our bigger cage, we set it on a wire shelf and drilled holes in the bottom middle. Now it drips into a large plant that then drips through the holes and out it into a bucket underneath. Works pretty good, the only problem we have is keeping the cat from drinking out of the bucket!

Latest posts