• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can I feed my BD from the wild?......

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
Just curious, I was wondering if you can feed your BD water roaches from outside in the wild? Here is the situation.... I live in a town home apartment complex and I have came to the conclusion there must be a water leak due to a certain species of roach that run around outside of the apartments. After researching these resilient creatures, I have learned it is almost impossible to exterminate them. They love hiding under leaves and branches and there are plenty of that around where I live. Not to mention they get their food supply mainly from the dumpsters in the parking lot. Gross, I know.... but they are by nature a "Clean up Crew". I found a way to trap them in a mason jar by using masking tape on the outside so they can climb in and eat something like a banana peel. Then you can put a lid on it and discard them and eventually they will suffocate and die. I could punch holes in the lid to prevent this if you can indeed safely feed BD's wild roaches. Like any roach, they vary in size and they breed like crazy. The largest ones I usually see are a bit over an inch long. Understand that my apartment maintenance team sprays once a quarter but only inside the homes and door ways. I never seen a dead roach on my back patio so I think the spray used only detour the roaches not to come near the spray areas since many of the residents own pets. In TX we have pesticide laws protecting pet owners, simply put in other words.

PLEASE NOTE: I do not live dirty and I can not stand loose bugs in my home.... I have OCD (Man's curse but a home's dream). The nature of this situation is simply due to public waste, leaves and water source. They are a part of nature and can survive even in a radioactive environment.

TheGuvnor

Hatchling Dragon
Personally, I really wouldn't. They could carry all sorts of nasties, and parasites. And also probably pesticides if the area is being treated. And living on garbage not good either. So dude, not worth risking the health of you beardie.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jaxxisyourfix

Bearded Dragon Egg
Pesticides can make them sick and even kill them and wild insects could carry parasites like coccidia...I wouldn't.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
That's what I thought. I was skeptical about it and wanted to know for my knowledge base. Thanks for the advise, now it's time to start bait poison outside and rake all the leaves and debris off the ground from a Tornado we had a couple weeks ago. Also going to dust the perimeter with lime and boric acid mix.... that should kill them and keep them away from possibly entering my home and infecting my animals. I also have cyprus bonsai trees I occasionally take outside. Anyhow, thanks for the info and I will only buy live feeders from a breeder.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
If you're in Texas, why not breed your own? :D I mean dubia roaches, though. All you need are a few items from Walmart to prevent them from being "loose bugs in your home."

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
I'm doing crickets for the first year. My Wife would not let me have Roaches of any kind until I can get a house with a shed in the back for that. Crickets was already pushing it. My post was more for a comical source of information due to the over population of "Water" Roaches (they are similar in size to Dubia Roaches). However, it was not a good idea due to many types of public diseases and poisons they can carry around from local exterminators and dumpsters are definitely not clean. I was going to set out mason jars lines with packing tape and baited with orange and banana peels. They climb up, fall in, can't get out. You cap the lid and the idea was, lunch was served. Maybe this idea would work on a farm. But no where in city limits due to the hazards.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wild caught is not a good plan, no matter where they come from, rural or urban.