• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Butternut squash

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Since it's on the "staple feeder" list, I bought butternut squash for our beardies. The inside is very hard. About the consistency of a potato. They seem to have trouble biting into it. Should I be cooking the squash before it's fed?

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I only use the meat of the squash. :) You can also bake if you like. It will soften it up but like I said I usually just grate it. Haven't run into many ovens out in the desert...not saying some of the richer beardies don't have em but my hunch is that most eat their veggies raw:D LOL sorry I couldn't resist!
Enjoy!!

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I think if a beardie in the desert has squash (a very non desert plant), he/she must be wealthy, and thus...have an oven. Regardless, I wasn't thinking I would bake it for them, as it's my understating that most vegetables lose some nutrients after being warmed. The grating worked just fine. This was their first time, obviously. Demani loved the squash. Ate the "yoohoo" out of it. Aussie, on the other hand, seemed to not only dislike it greatly, but may have even been afraid of it. She backed away and ran to the other side of her enclosure.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Sometimes they are real suspicious about anything new in their food dish. I always offer stuff plenty of times before I decide its a no go..course Aussie might be like I was when I was a kid..I loved vegetables but if somebody said squash I ran in the opposite direction too...Lol...course it's one of my favorite things now so hopefully Aussie give it another chance:)
Enjoy!

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Perhaps she'll just be like me. I have despised squash since I was a kid, and still do. It is easily one of my least favorite foods. :)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Latest posts