• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Building an Enclosure for First Time

Ashytree

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie is almost a sub-adult and should have more room to roam around and be happy. I'm thinking about building her an enclosure that is 48in long, 24in wide and 24in tall. It would all be wood except one of the wide sides which would be sliding glass. The flooring would be some kind of slate...does all of this sound like a good plan?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sounds good. Just make sure you have some ventilation holes.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
if you have the option, and since you are building it yourself, Id recommend going with a taller enclosure. They really do love to be able to climb and be up high.

Afiya

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is what i plan on doing as well. Do you know what the beast kind of wood to use would be? And would it be okay for not absorbing moisture and retaining heat? Also what kind of sealant would you use? Thanks!

Ashytree

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am where you are at as well : p. But I would think (out of zero experience) that the kind of wood that you buy with white paint covering both sides would not absorb any moisture, but Idk how it'd be under heat...

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ashytree you're talking about melamine. It's good in that it's sealed, but it's flimsy and if ANY water ever gets through that plastic coating it falls apart immediately.

Honestly, plywood is easiest. It's sturdy, cheap and easy to seal. Depending on substrate you can use a simple water based polyurethane or if you're really serious you can use epoxy resin or FRP.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Melamine is mdf board with laminate on top and bottom by no means is it flimsy...... If I'd does get wet and absorb into the melamine it will deff swell up and not be as sturdy.... But sealing all areas will aid with this...... I have built all my enclosures with melamine never had one issue.......

dragonwagon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Melamine is good, just make sure it is sealed. If water happens to leak into the melamine, you may not have any more melamine.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Melamine is mdf board with laminate on top and bottom by no means is it flimsy...... If I'd does get wet and absorb into the melamine it will deff swell up and not be as sturdy.... But sealing all areas will aid with this...... I have built all my enclosures with melamine never had one issue.......

Sorry, but that is not true. Melamine is particle board not mdf. Particle board is basically sawdust glued together, mdf is actually wood fibre fused through heat and pressure. That's why melamine board falls apart when wet and has virtually no strength other than the melamine coating. It will usually give out in a few years, especially if spanned over a four foot enclosure with heat or moisture involved.

Latest posts