• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation Question (Francis I need your opinion especially)

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think I am probably the most in the box keeper here. I just keep it simple due to volume, but I have always been of the mentality that there is more than 1 way to do things.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it's not always the practice Tom, that makes the concept. Many people practice simple to cut down on their workload, or even due to their own self confidence (which i feel is the thing with you really)

Forums began so we could learn from each other and share new ideas and thoughts about keeping our animals. It's turned into some wicked kind of cultish crap anymore where if you go outside that neat tidy little square cube, you're immediately wrong!

Some of you know me........and i know many of you. We know where we've seen each other before, and where we haven't. There's a place to share, with like minds, who want to experience and share their thoughts, have them appreciated without the rhetoric of being flamed. Notice how we rarely (if ever) post anywhere else to bring out these thoughts.

Ever seen ME ask a question...............anywhere?

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
TheWolfmanTom said:
I think I am probably the most in the box keeper here. I just keep it simple due to volume, but I have always been of the mentality that there is more than 1 way to do things.
I'm alot like you tom...im very open to new ideas but i still keep things simple to an extent...i do offer my dragons things most people wouldnt (except the people here hah)

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey Tom,

I got lucky because the way I keep my lizards makes it easier on me. Granted, setting up the enclosure takes some time, but once every things done its pretty much on auto pilot.

It works for me because I'm lazy. I pretty much scoop poop, feed them, and add water to the substrate once in awhile. Also I dig up alot of eggs. But even then, if I'm lazy I'll let the eggs incubate in the substrate for a couple weeks :) Gotta love reptiles!

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
TheVirus said:
Hey Tom,

I got lucky because the way I keep my lizards makes it easier on me. Granted, setting up the enclosure takes some time, but once every things done its pretty much on auto pilot.

It works for me because I'm lazy. I pretty much scoop poop, feed them, and add water to the substrate once in awhile. Also I dig up alot of eggs. But even then, if I'm lazy I'll let the eggs incubate in the substrate for a couple weeks :) Gotta love reptiles!
eventually id like to do a half tile half sand/dirt substrate for my beardies...ive been keeping frank on particle substrate 99% of his life and I think i've mastered the whole maintaining it thing...i think my lil boys need their own play/dirt area other than for when i take em out

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
thanks alot sandy for all of the encouragement....let me say that i will fully admit that for a while i was a pretty close minded keeper just like alot of people on that forum...then i took time to notice that not everything they suggested fit what magellan wanted or needed so secretly i started messing with things to cater to his needs more...i began changing his diet a little away from what the "norm" was and gave him lower basking temps which he prefers much more (he likes 105 to 108) and i started taking him outside more to play around in the dirt outside which he loved to play/dig in so i offered him my old female's laybox (after cleaning it out and refilling it) but no one knew and magellan was so much happier...when i mentioned in that thread that things have changed in 8 years and that new information is coming out it isnt because it was just discovered but more people are paying attention to behavior and trying to let nature do it's thing rather than us manipulate it all the time...i guess he just doesnt see it that way

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For some of those people new to this hobby, it's not advisable that they adopt our forms of husbandry and experimentation. I don't recommend that they do. I recommend that they follow a safe form of husbandry, learn to watch and observe and get to know their animal. How else will they tell if something goes terribly wrong?

It's when they've done that.....when their curiousity goes outside of that mindless chitter chatter and forum repeatition that most seem to hold that they are ready to find something more suited to them. In that, I believe there is a process in which to learn. And just like in AA or NA or any of those thing........you just can't skip step 3. If you do, your plan will one day take a back set and you'll have nowhere to turn.

I still don't think it's ok to quash the thoughts, concepts and ideas of another person unless you've honestly been there, done that. And one person's experience is just as important as any other persons when it comes to recording behaviorisms

Latest posts