• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation & Infertile Eggs, Question

riven67

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello while I have not posted and so appear new I have been lurking and reading for awhile. I have a question that is touched on in many threads but never in depth or to my satisfaction, so I thought I would post it to open a discussion.

My Story:
I have 3 beardies, 2 male and one female. They have never mated as far as I know. The reason I say this is we bought a pair at a show last Aug and had them in the same tank for, oh about 4 or 5 months but when they started to give each other looks and began to get competitive over basking spots I separated them. They have been separate ever since. This pair is just about a year old, purchased last Aug and were young, no more then 2 months old though I think younger.

The Female went into brumation for a good long time, almost 2 months. She would come out sometimes and take insects that were offered but stopped eating veg altogether. Bathed her about once a week to keep up the hydration. She finally came out of it about 2 weeks ago, happily eating everything in sight and basking again. Though I noticed 3 or 4 days ago she began acting differently. She used to be very shy and would just sit/lay on my shoulder or belly when out of her tank, often falling asleep on me. Now she is very active and trying to explore the house, she is gaining weight but I cannot feel any bumps in her.

She also shows no sign of interest in mating, not that I am trying to mate her because I am not. But we had her out on me and the big male that she used to be caged with was with my daughter. He of course turned into Black Beardie and bobbed at her, running across the room to my feet. Just wanting to see if she would wave or return a slow bob we held him and her loosely in our hands about a foot apart. He continued to show interest and bobbed but she ignored him completely. I mention this only to see if anyone else has experienced this indifference.

Anyway finally to the big question, has anyone had any experience with a female dragon this age coming out of brumation ready to lay a clutch of infertile eggs? I am not sure it is even possible but I know my girl and she is not acting "Normal" there is something making her glass dance and go exploring, and she is constantly alert. She no longer wants to fall asleep on me watching tv. Which she seemed to love doing. So hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

I will be making up a laying enclosure just in case, so I can introduce her to it and see if she wants to dig.

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
Well if she were gravid you can usually feel lumps on under belly but the gestation time for the eggs to form inside her is roughly 5 weeks. My female laid a fertile clutch of eggs recently. She continues to glass dance though. Maybe your beardie is just seeing her reflection. Also my female is housed with a male dragon he constantly does his little dominance dance but after a while she just ignores him. I will say this when my female was gravid she ate anything she could. She put quite a bit of weight on quickly.Hope some of this helps.

WalkingWithDragons

Hatchling Dragon
It's normal for them to act crazy after coming out of brumation. Their bodies and cooled and prepped for mating season, and their hormones are raging! LOL My males tend to black beard, bob and sprint accross their enclosures, and my females glass dance and run back and forth. Some of my females interact with my males with "signals" like arm waving and slow head bobbing and some of mine dont. Just depends on the female. I also notice when im holding my dragons, they tend not to interact with head bobbing or waving as much as they do when I let them down and they interact with other beardies through the glass of their enclosure.

Latest posts