• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation? Help please

Jinyfer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all, new here. I have a male beardie named Koopa, he just turned a year old. He's very active, but has never been a big eater. He eats, but he's very picky and he doesn't eat a lot. Regardless, he is very healthy, although small for his age. His home is a 40 gallon tank, temps range from 98-102 on his basking side and between 70-75 on the cool side of his tank. He has a hide that he rarely uses.
About 36 hours ago, when it was feeding time, I gave him about 10-15 crickets. He devoured them in no time, so I gave him more. Within 15 minutes, he ended up eating about 50-60 crickets which is totally out of character for him. But he was happy and acting normal, then as always I gave him a bath before putting him back in his enclosure. Usually, he will immediately go to his basking spot after a bath and stay there even after lights out. But instead he immediately went to his hide where he's been ever since. I tried waking him about 18 hours ago and he opened his eyes but would not get up. And since then, he hasn't moved at all. I can't even tell if he's breathing. But I usually can't tell he's breathing when he's asleep anyway. I'm thinking he may be going into brumation but is brumation that sudden? I just figured it was a slower process than this but what worries me is he had a very tiny poop after his feast, and I know all those crickets are still sitting in his stomach probably rotting. Should I force him to get up and move around? Or should I let him do his natural thing?

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That does sound very sudden. I've never heard of it happening that quickly. I would closely monitor him and if anything happens take him to the vet.

Latest posts