• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation? Constipated!?

Tonydabaloney

Hatchling Dragon
I've written about Mango to you. She had an infection and was in her hiding place for about 3 weeks. Took her to the vet.and got medication, which I gave her until it ran out. She seemed better for a couple of days, but then dug her hole out and I was told went into brumating, in think. Now please assume her lighting, humidity and other factors are ok. I've had them checked and rechecked, their ok. She has been in her hole for 6 weeks. Yesterday I took her out and made sure she was nice and warm. She seemed like her old self, but she hasn't pooed in a very long time and she hasn't ate anything except for a couple of crickets. I gave her a nice bath and checked her out completely. She is my pet and good friend, more than just an exotic pet. We used to spend 4-8 hours a day, but since she is hiding I miss her. I would feel better if she had a good crap before hiding again. When I put her back in her very nice, large tank she ran around like normal and even layer on her favorite basking spot, but then she went back to her hole. Is she brumating and should I leave her alone or be concerned??? Vet said when she is ready she will eat and poo, but I've read that they shouldn't eat or poo in brumation. What do I do!!?? Please trust me when I say tank is fine,lights fine and humidity fine. I was worried she wasn't getting hydrated so I got a little water down her and she chased water bubbles in the bath and stuck her tongue out several times. No suds, just from where I dribbled water over her.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've written about Mango to you. She had an infection and was in her hiding place for about 3 weeks. Took her to the vet.and got medication, which I gave her until it ran out. She seemed better for a couple of days, but then dug her hole out and I was told went into brumating, in think. Now please assume her lighting, humidity and other factors are ok. I've had them checked and rechecked, their ok. She has been in her hole for 6 weeks. Yesterday I took her out and made sure she was nice and warm. She seemed like her old self, but she hasn't pooed in a very long time and she hasn't ate anything except for a couple of crickets. I gave her a nice bath and checked her out completely. She is my pet and good friend, more than just an exotic pet. We used to spend 4-8 hours a day, but since she is hiding I miss her. I would feel better if she had a good crap before hiding again. When I put her back in her very nice, large tank she ran around like normal and even layer on her favorite basking spot, but then she went back to her hole. Is she brumating and should I leave her alone or be concerned??? Vet said when she is ready she will eat and poo, but I've read that they shouldn't eat or poo in brumation. What do I do!!?? Please trust me when I say tank is fine,lights fine and humidity fine. I was worried she wasn't getting hydrated so I got a little water down her and she chased water bubbles in the bath and stuck her tongue out several times. No suds, just from where I dribbled water over her.
Shes fine if she doesnt poop --- dragons usually dont eat or poop when in brumation - being she hasnt eaten much she isnt going to poop a lot- just offer her water about every 2 weeks or so weigh her on a kitchen food scale in grams and keep track of it -- they can lose some weight in brumation but you dont want drastic weight loss -- then there is a problem

Tonydabaloney

Hatchling Dragon
Shes fine if she doesnt poop --- dragons usually dont eat or poop when in brumation - being she hasnt eaten much she isnt going to poop a lot- just offer her water about every 2 weeks or so weigh her on a kitchen food scale in grams and keep track of it -- they can lose some weight dont want drastic weight loss -- then there is a problem
Thanks! The part I find the strangest is she always had a great appetite and was a little chunky, tubby and after all this time she still is a palm full and looks great. She is beautiful and healthy looking. I expected her to be skin and bones, but she looks fine. Thanks for.the advice. Pardon my extra periods, I'm a big guy and fingers dont fit these keys.

Kirsty

Hatchling Dragon
Shes fine if she doesnt poop --- dragons usually dont eat or poop when in brumation - being she hasnt eaten much she isnt going to poop a lot- just offer her water about every 2 weeks or so weigh her on a kitchen food scale in grams and keep track of it -- they can lose some weight in brumation but you dont want drastic weight loss -- then there is a problem
What would you consider a drastic weight loss to be? I would just like to make a note of it.

Tonydabaloney

Hatchling Dragon
What would you consider a drastic weight loss to be? I would just like to make a note of it.
Thank you! Sorry I took so long to reply. She still out. The thing that amazes me ,is that she hasn't eaten except for two crickets 3 weeks ago ,yet when I hold her she weighs about the same and she was a hefty lizard. I think I have it under control now. Thanks.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you! Sorry I took so long to reply. She still out. The thing that amazes me ,is that she hasn't eaten except for two crickets 3 weeks ago ,yet when I hold her she weighs about the same and she was a hefty lizard. I think I have it under control now. Thanks.
30 grams would be a lot-

Latest posts