• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brown slime on beardie eggs w/pics. Please help!

shaygatti

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm only posting here instead of in 'breeding' because there's been posts on here recently and really need some help ASAP.
My bearded dragon laid 9 fertile eggs. She is very small. She won't be breeding again until old enough. I thought she was a male, so that was my mistake. Anyways. I bought an egg-o-bator incubator. I bought vermiculite. I put it in the tubs that came with the incubator and put water in, then poured all the water out until no more came out when i tipped it. I've set the setting for bearded dragons, put all three tubs in at a slight angle to stop condensation from dripping on the eggs. I put them in on Tuesday and it is now 4 days later, Saturday. I opened the incubator to check on them. Some are still completely white and look fine. There are some however in each box that have very light brown slimy looking stuff on them. It's only on a part of the eggs it's affected and it smells a bit fishy. There is some condensation on the tops of the tubs and it looks as though one or two eggs have tiny condensation droplets on them. What do I do from here? Remove eggs? Do I need to wash and put new vermiculite in the tubs? How long can the eggs stay out of the incubator while I do this? I'm guessing there's something wrong. None of the eggs have collapsed and are all still white except the smelly brown slime. Please help! This is my first clutch btw. Thank you!

Here's some pictures.

http://s633.photobucket.com/user/rustedxstrings/media/IMG_19800106_234257.jpg.html

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
WelcomeB4_zps02bda940.jpg

I'm going to guess that your humidity may be too high, possibly causing the eggs to start to mold ...

Do you have small holes in the tub lids to allow air to exchange & excess humidity to escape? What are your temps in the egg containers & what are you measuring them with??

shaygatti

Bearded Dragon Egg
There is one airhole in each tub. The tubs came with the incubator. (I'm obviously a horrible noob at this and it wasn't planned so I'm doing my best) The incubator has a certain setting for bearded dragons. I think I do need to get something to measure the humidity and temp. Would the round gauges that you stick in beardie tanks work? I could stick them on the inside...there's no way to have anything come in or out of the incubator as it's sealed and there's no holes for cables or anything. What can I do to lower the humidity? What should I do with the affected eggs?

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with Germ. Looks like to much Moisture. When preparing your media. The safest easiest way to do it is doing a 1:1 water/media ratio.

shaygatti

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you so much for the response. I posted on other sites and this is the only one I've got any response on! I'm going to put new vermiculite in and put less water in. Should I try and wipe the mold off? I'll put all of the moldy eggs in one box just incase I guess? Thanks again it's much appreciated!

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for the late response. You can try sprinkling a little bit of athletes foot powder on the eggs. Dont cake it on the eggs but just take a pinch and lightly sprinkle it on the egg.

Latest posts