• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bio active cricket keeper?

Michael Colley

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm having trouble keeping crickets, I know for my cresties I have a terrarium with bio active soil, bugs and such so it decomposes everything naturally! Anyone do this with their crickets?

I am thinking the crickets would last way longer and I wouldn't have to clean as often.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hmm, never thought to do this with the crickets. I think because crickets are dirty so you would really need a cleaner crew in your soil to keep things real clean. What are you keeping your crickets in?

I keep mine in a 10 gallon fish tank with a metal lid on top and I put egg crates in for them to hide and water crystals for water and a dry cricket food then a few times a week I give them fresh veggies that I feed my reptiles and I clean the tank out. My crickets last for months, unless they get eaten.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Kept crickets for 5+ years just in tubs had to clean them every day (dirty smelly bugs) that was the only way I could keep them for that long (I had a rescued wren that ate them and 2 frogs) When Willow (wren) passed and then the frogs I switched to roaches for Izzy OMG love them!
Can't help ya on the bio active soil up keep..

Latest posts