• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best worms to replace crickets

Kpontius

Hatchling Dragon
Bud was always a great eater of crickets until now! I understand when they get around a year they like veggie more. But is there a type worm that provides nutrition like crickets. Dubai roaches are not allowed in my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Many people use super worms as a staple feeder. Gutload them and dust them to add nutrition. They do have a higher fat percentage than crickets so youve gotta make sure not to over feed. But, they're easy to take care of, live a long time, cheap, etc. Crickets are a nightmare.

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
are earthworms good for them? I would be afraid to get them from outdoors
I wouldn't risk it, as most households nowadays prefer to at one point use pesticides. Plus ya never know about parasites. Super worms are a go-to though. Just make sure you sever their heads, as they have strong mandibles and could eat at the insides of your beardie.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wouldn't risk it, as most households nowadays prefer to at one point use pesticides. Plus ya never know about parasites. Super worms are a go-to though. Just make sure you sever their heads, as they have strong mandibles and could eat at the insides of your beardie.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
The only time you should feed superworms cautiously would be if your dragon is really weak and doesn't chew their food well.. It is super rare that a superworm will bite a dragon while eating.. the dragon's typically really attack their food and normally chew very well that this really isn't a worry. Gotta remember they need live prey and when you cut the head off they don't move around very long and you may end up wasting food..
long ago there was a super ill dragon and a superworm ate it's way out but this was a "perfect storm" type of situation..and the dragon really shouldn't have been fed supers when that ill.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Silkworms are the most nutritious along with BSFL. Superworms are good to feed too. Just make sure to mix things up, variety is the key.

Hdrydr31 is right, supers don't pose a risk unless you already have a compromised dragon. The dragon will chomp the super worm and the saliva will start the digestive process. Try putting a worm in plain water, after a second or two it will stop moving. It will do that in your dragons system, only the stomach acids will start the chemical process to break it down. I've only seen one case of a super worm biting a dragon. The dragon was sick and the worm was accidentally left in the tank overnight. In the night the worm had bore a hole into the side of the dragon from the outside.

Latest posts