• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Being " Behind the times"

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
well wouldnt that mean that the hypo trait isnt a genetic mutation then? are there specific health problems associated with the hypo's?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
northface75 said:
well wouldnt that mean that the hypo trait isnt a genetic mutation then? are there specific health problems associated with the hypo's?

No hypo is a genetic mutation as well.
There were at one time problems with the hypo line and there still are in lines that are not properly bred. I have researched mine as far as I can and have high hopes of producing healthy offspring but if I have problems pop up I will not breed the line again.

Janie can answer better on the history of the hypo line as she has put a lot of time and effort into researching them.

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I would say the hypo is the only mutation I would consider breeding outside of regular dragons. I think they're all beautiful, but theres something I really like about the hypos...so pretty. I'll have to look into getting a hypo male someday...that'll be my next pooper I think

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
northface75 said:
I would say the hypo is the only mutation I would consider breeding outside of regular dragons. I think they're all beautiful, but theres something I really like about the hypos...so pretty. I'll have to look into getting a hypo male someday...that'll be my next pooper I think

Tom (thewolfmantom aka tnddragons.com) has some beautiful red hypos available currently.

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
what about these leatherbacks? Do you have to breed with another leatherback, or het, to get leatherbacks, or will crossbreeding yield a percent of them?

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Leatherbacks are a reccessive trait, the more you out cross them the less leatherbacks you get.

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
wait..if being leatherback is a recessive gene, being not leatherback (regular spikey) would be the dominant gene, which makes perfect sense. BUT, that would mean you wouldnt be able to breed the two at all then and get leatherbacks because the dominant gene would present. well, unless of course the non leatherback was a carrier of the gene....

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am a little late coming into this but as just a lover of these guys for more years then I can remember, I personally like the spiky ones with bright colors and good genes that are going to live long healthy lives. If I ever do buy one from a breeder I want one bread for quality not look, like you guys do. Healthy gene pools come first then look. But truth be told I think I will just stick to my rescues, give the ones in need a good home. I can't help but rescue first, buy last.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I just went over and had a look at a leatherback!! I did not like what I saw. Period!!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Leather or silk back, Vesta. Leathers I could live with.. silks.. nadda.
Janie

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Vesta take a look at my website and the future breeders page.
Allesandra is an Itailian leatherback.
I wont do silkbacks.
And im still on the fence about trans.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
YES!!! I'm sorry!! It was a silkback!! I found it disgusting!! Hope that doesn't offend but that is really how I feel!!!

I'd have to look at a leatherback up close to see how I feel about that. The photo I saw looked like they might be kind of neat.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Tom...I just went and found Allessandra. She IS beautiful. But I think I just like my scalier beardies best. It is hard for me to accept change. But her pattern is something special!!! ;)

But that Tang has stolen my heart. How beautiful she is!!!!

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
not a fan of the leather or silk backs...give me the spikes

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I like the spikes, but I can see the allure that the leatherbacks have, they are very sleek and colorful

Latest posts