• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardies beard/neck changed color. Please help

Marila123

Hatchling Dragon
Hi all!

Our little guy is around 7-8 months. I noticed today that underneath his mouth area his skin changed to dark grey/brown I would say.
He is showing head bobbing behavior as well when I am near.
We recently got a new log for him as well which does rub off a bit of color when I clean it. But I also read it can be a sign of sickness amongst other things.

I am looking for assistance and suggestions on what this can possibly be.
thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0447.JPG
    IMG_0447.JPG
    707.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0446.JPG
    IMG_0446.JPG
    753.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0445.JPG
    IMG_0445.JPG
    842.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0444.JPG
    IMG_0444.JPG
    677 KB · Views: 20

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He's black bearding. Normal for boys, it goes along with the head bobbing.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah it looks like he's just showing you his black.
You could soak a rag in warm water and try gently washing the area (stroke with the direction of his scales), and see if it lightens up at all, if you really think some of it is color from the log. But it does look like he's just black bearding, as Patsy said. They also do it when they're upset or unhappy about something. Just click the links in Patsys post and make sure your lighting and feeding is correct. If so, its really nothing to worry about. Does that color come and go or is it staying that way?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep he's coming of age and he is "flexing his muscle" lol It's likely he is seeing his reflection and he thinks there is another male or female around... If your husbandry is all good it's just him being a boy!! lol

Marila123

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah it looks like he's just showing you his black.
You could soak a rag in warm water and try gently washing the area (stroke with the direction of his scales), and see if it lightens up at all, if you really think some of it is color from the log. But it does look like he's just black bearding, as Patsy said. They also do it when they're upset or unhappy about something. Just click the links in Patsys post and make sure your lighting and feeding is correct. If so, its really nothing to worry about. Does that color come and go or is it staying that way?
Omg now that you've said it all makes sense! We were hanging out in the playroom-where he lives and he kept going at the tank looking at me. Not reacting to my husband at all! So I took him out, laid him on me and he calmed down. I got really nervous about the dark spot. Any who, that led me to post about him. He cleared up in about 1 hour as if nothing happened!!! He's back to his beautiful orangy color. I must've read everything on Dr. Google... honestly, I'm shocked.

Latest posts