• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie trying to vomit but nothing coming up

ddsangl1019

Bearded Dragon Egg
To give a tad history, my beardie was with my parents for a few years and was completely fine, but for the past month my mom wasn't able to give my lil girl the attention that she needed and she became very malnourished and weak. I brought her home a week ago and we have been giving her baby food, Pedialyte and calcium cocktails through a dropper everyday. Putting her in warm water everyday and she has been eating 1 or 2 worms here and there. I've been trying to get her health to improve and for the past week she has been doing fine, but today she took a nose dive for the worst and I'm really concerned. Since I've been home from work she has been trying to vomit, but nothing is coming up. She did poop and it looked really good, but she is running around in her cage gagging. Any suggestions would be awesome! Oh, also I noticed a black spot on her tail when I brought her home from my parents and I don't know what it is. It's bumped up, but it doesn't seem to bother her when I touch it.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry your having some issues with your girl :( is it possible that she ate something that didn't go down right? Can you see anything stuck in her mouth? Can you post pictures of what she looks like and what the bump on the tail looks like as well..
If your really concerned about her you may need to take her to a vet..
That sucks that she went downhill with your parents :( how malnourished is she?

ddsangl1019

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've looked into her mouth a few times while she was gagging and I don't see anything. According to my mom, she quit eating several weeks ago. I'm waiting to get paid to take her to the vet and told my kids that she needs to be left alone in the cage until then. I've even taken everything out of her cage except the water, but she has never drank from her water rock even when she was a baby. We always had to put water droplets onto her mouth to get her to drink. Her hind legs are extremely thin, she has a very hard time walking Or climbing. I'm trying to get the pics to load.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
several weeks ago :( dang.. sounds like a vet visit may not wait for you to get paid sounds like she needs to get seen sooner than later..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Does she seem to have a lot of saliva in her mouth? That gulping/throwing up motion can be a sign of a respiratory infection.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, she had a lot yesterday. It almost looked like she was blowing spit bubbles
That is a big sign towards respiratory infection and needs vet help :( they are pretty strong critters but with the fact that she is malnourished it makes her weaker to fight this.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Maybe you could remove the water dish from her tank. If its a respiratory infection, which is what it sounds like, I would think you'd want to get the humidity down as much as you can in there. And i would also think you'd want to sanitize her tank and everything in it often. You'll wanna get ahead and on top of this.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Get the water bowl out and bump up the temps 5-10 degrees. You are going to need to get him to a vet as soon as you can. Respiratory infections can turn fast, you want to get him on antibiotics soon.