• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie Size

Exile Skimmer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
hey sorry i didnt really know where to ask this question so im putting it here. . . i got my baby beardie in July at Repticon and the guy told me she was just born a week before i got her and its been 5 months and my beardie is only 6 1/2 inch ((including tail)) 2 1/2 body ((without tail)) i know they grow fast but i feel as if she isnt growing. . . is this about right. . . thanks joe

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
yes that is small. a reputable breeder will not sell a week old dragon as they are not well established yet and chances of survival are not as good. most babies wont even eat their first meal until they 3 to 4 days old. tell me what you are feeding and how often and lets see if we can jump start things a little.:D

Exile Skimmer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i really love the help and im feeding her crickets every other day, veggie mix instant meal, zoo med juvenile food, rep-cal juvenile food, and fresh greens, some fruit with a little bearded dragon calcium plus mixed together and that is in a food bowl all day (( i change it everyday)) i know im supposed to feed her worms but im deathly afraid of worms i know its weird but i at least tried it for her but i couldnt do it. . . i have had many other reptiles but none of them grew this slow i feel as if she hasnt grown since i have gotten her and her lighting is fine temps and humidity are fine her cage is bigg enough for her untill the is 12inches big so idk why she isnt growing. . . thanks for any advice

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
if it were me, i would leave the prepared foods alone and feed her crickets twice per day every day and offer the greens and different fruits and veggies daily also. ive never used any of the foods you mention so i cant say wether they are good or bad, all i have ever done is live prey and greens and i have some pretty big guys. once she hits about a year and a half years old you should then switch to live prey every other day or third day and still do greens every day. hornworms would be a great supplement for her if you could sucker someone to feed them for you. you will probably find that as she gets older, she will be less likely to chase crickets so you will probably have to end up hand feeding at some point. if i can let my wife have three tarantulas, you can get over your fear of worms:eek: thats what tweezers and forceps are for.

Exile Skimmer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
im going to try that its just i wish she was bigger but i dont want to replace her bc she is mine and i will never give her up and i cant afford to buy an adult right now so im waiting for her to get bigger but thats not happening thats why im wondering but im going to try again with the worms. . . i hunt and fish but if you put a worm on me i will passout or chase you and beat you down till ur going to the hospital im that scared of them, the only thing i am scared of in my life. . . but thanks for your help and im going to try it and see if that helps

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
im going to try that its just i wish she was bigger but i dont want to replace her bc she is mine and i will never give her up and i cant afford to buy an adult right now so im waiting for her to get bigger but thats not happening thats why im wondering but im going to try again with the worms. . . i hunt and fish but if you put a worm on me i will passout or chase you and beat you down till ur going to the hospital im that scared of them, the only thing i am scared of in my life. . . but thanks for your help and im going to try it and see if that helps
i hope it works out, most importantly though, as many crickets as she'll eat in 10 minutes twice per day!

jessicap

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Have you tried small dubia roaches or the reptiworms! :0) I just ordered the reptiworms (look like large maggots... hey it doesn't really look like a "worm"... lol) I can't touch any of the bugs - YUK. I use a plastic spoon or chopstix to pick them up and put them in a larger container that I can just set Mushu in to eat them. Whatever is left I just poor back in their original container for the next feeding. I hate crickets - they are loud, smell and they jump making it hard to keep them contained.

socalroaches

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I got my bearded dragon from Moon Dragons out in Las Vegas, NV, and he just loves him some dubia's. If your beardie is as small as I think it is, I would try some small/medium dubia's, just dust them and you should be good to go. If you like to try some, let me know and as my kids say "i will hook you up!"

Thanks!

Exile Skimmer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i have been thinking about dubia's but i dont know how to take care of them and nobody where i live has any or use's them as far as i know but i think im going to research it and try them. . .

socalroaches

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
They are actually really easy to take care of. All you need is a tub or bin you can get those from your local Wallmart, some egg crates and put some holes or a screen for ventilation and your half way there. I can get you started with a mixed batch 100 (plus 15% overcount), roach chow (food for the roaches), water crystals (water for the roaches and helps with humidity) all shipped for $20 for you.

Let me know if you need anything, I am here to help and to serve as best as I can, thanks!