• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie not shed for almost a year

Matt B

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got my beardie: Pixel at the beginning of May last year. Was told when I got him he was about 1 year old but an exotic vet says he is more than likely 3-4 years old. When we got him, he was in the middle of his shed and he didn’t finish shedding until midway through October (around 5 months). He hasn’t shed since, just wanted to check if this is normal or should I be worried?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got my beardie: Pixel at the beginning of May last year. Was told when I got him he was about 1 year old but an exotic vet says he is more than likely 3-4 years old. When we got him, he was in the middle of his shed and he didn’t finish shedding until midway through October (around 5 months). He hasn’t shed since, just wanted to check if this is normal or should I be worried?
How big is he dragon? When they are babies to approx 2 they do alot of shedding as that is when they are growing- after that they still will shed but not as often - and they shed in different parts of the body - tails take a long time to shed - your humidity in the tank will help them shed - what kind of diet is the dragon on ? What is the UVB your using? Long tube fixture or a coil?

Matt B

Bearded Dragon Egg
How big is he dragon? When they are babies to approx 2 they do alot of shedding as that is when they are growing- after that they still will shed but not as often - and they shed in different parts of the body - tails take a long time to shed - your humidity in the tank will help them shed - what kind of diet is the dragon on ? What is the UVB you’re using? Long tube fixture or a coil?
Not sure how big he is exactly, he’s over 500 grams though. His humidity is bounces around 35-40%. I’ve got a strip light for his UVB, he is currently on 6% but I’ve jus tired red a new bulb and trying him on 12. For his diet, he has a salad (mostly greens and some pepper, rarely small bits of fruit as a treat) and 2-3 time a a week he gets gut-loaded dubia a or locusts lightly dusted in calcium. Hope this helps

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not sure how big he is exactly, he’s over 500 grams though. His humidity is bounces around 35-40%. I’ve got a strip light for his UVB, he is currently on 6% but I’ve jus tired red a new bulb and trying him on 12. For his diet, he has a salad (mostly greens and some pepper, rarely small bits of fruit as a treat) and 2-3 time a a week he gets gut-loaded dubia a or locusts lightly dusted in calcium. Hope this helps
What is the brand of the UVB-- he needs a 12% if your using the Arcadia brand-placement and distance of the UVB please ---- hes of good weight - please measure him for length-- humidity is good if your using a digital probe hygrometer - analogs are usually inaccurate -- you can add some squash to his diet I am posting nutrition website for you ignore the kale info its outdated
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Matt B

Bearded Dragon Egg
What is the brand of the UVB-- he needs a 12% if your using the Arcadia brand-placement and distance of the UVB please ---- hes of good weight - please measure him for length-- humidity is good if your using a digital probe hygrometer - analogs are usually inaccurate -- you can add some squash to his diet I am posting nutrition website for you ignore the kale info its outdated
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
His uv lamp is 50 cm from the floor and 30 cm from his basking platform. It’s a 34 inch bulb. It is an Arcadia bulb and should arrive soon.

He is 49 cm from snout to tail and 24 snout to vent. Thank you for the nutrition info, he does occasionally have butternut squash.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
His uv lamp is 50 cm from the floor and 30 cm from his basking platform. It’s a 34 inch bulb. It is an Arcadia bulb and should arrive soon.

He is 49 cm from snout to tail and 24 snout to vent. Thank you for the nutrition info, he does occasionally have butternut squash.
Ok so hes about right for length- genetics plays a role in the dragons size- your UVB is good placement are you getting the 12% bulb? Your not using colored bulbs are you?

Matt B

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so hes about right for length- genetics plays a role in the dragons size- your UVB is good placement are you getting the 12% bulb? Your not using colored bulbs are you?
No coloured bulbs, glad to here he’s doing good size-wise.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, sorry it took me a while to respond to this. Pixel is doing good, he still hasn't shed though. He now has the 12% Arcadia uvb bulb in his tank.
Ok good distance 12-15 inches I would have it around 13 inches- what has his behavior been like?

Matt B

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok good distance 12-15 inches I would have it around 13 inches- what has his behavior been like?
His behaviour has been good, he's been very active and eating good. Since it's winter he's been a bit more lethargic recently, but otherwise nothing concerning

Latest posts