• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie laid eggs???

DylanDrogo

Bearded Dragon Egg
This morning we woke up to 6 strange looking objects in Drogo's tank. They're tan-ish in color and unevenly shaped, but mostly oblong-ish. We are pretty sure they are eggs but Drogo has never been with another dragon! Originally thought to be a male, she is about 19 months old. Is there any cause for concern? We realize there's no way they're fertile... but how does this happen anyways??

DylanDrogo

Bearded Dragon Egg
384308_4614901500845_698218824_n.jpg

DylanDrogo

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well, we've looked around and I've found most of the answers by now... I think anyways, for the most part.. :confused:

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you only found 6, there are very likely 20 more or so to come yet. You should set her up a lay bin\box. It is very hard on a BD to hold her eggs because she has no place to lay them & only out of desperation from too much pressure, will she lay in an open enclosure with no where to bury them. Some helpful info ...

Sounds like you have already found out that Females may periodically lay eggs without ever being with a male. Similar to how a chicken lays the eggs that we eat ;).

DylanDrogo

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, so we need a lay bin even when these are not fertile eggs? For maybe 20 more?? Obviously we won't need an incubator. And is this normal? Typically they go through this how many times a year? Excuse my ignorance.. really don't remember reading anything about eggs just appearing when there's only one lizard involved... lol :)

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
You want to set a place for her to lay, just to make it easier on her. Once she has a place to lay, she'll drop more of them. This first round was because she couldn't hold it in anymore. Think about doing #2. If you have a nice comfy toilet, you can go easier, and you don't feel the need to wait until you have no choice. :D As for how often this'll happen, I have to leave it to the more knowledgeable people.

DylanDrogo

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wow, thanks for the comparison Luna :oops: hehe that helps. Just think it's strange that it happened in the first place.. even more so when we were told by Pet Smart that Drogo was a boy (at only about 4 mos yet). Pretty much figured out before now though, most likely girl... now we know without a doubt. :)

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
Don't trust Pet Smart! lol They very rarely have a clue about what they are selling. Great place to go for supplies, but not for animals. IMO

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How often it happens depends on the Dragons. One of mine never laid any eggs until she was just about 7 years old. Another would lay at least one clutch of infertile eggs a year, sometimes 2 & 3 clutches in a year. Neither having ever been with a male. There is no specific rhyme or reason. Again, it depends on many variables, triggers, hormones & the list goes on. If it happens, it happens, it may not lay another for a long time, it may again in a month or 2, it may never lay again, you never know. You have to watch their weight, watch for the signs of frantically wall climbing, digging around trying to find a place to lay. Infertile eggs often can not be seen or felt in the tummy, so you have to get to know your Dragon, observe it & watch for the telltale changes in behavior & activity.

Be sure that she is well fed after she lays & be sure to up her calcium intake for a month or so, to replenish what the eggs have robbed from her system.

Good Luck

BoomBoom

Hatchling Dragon
wow I did not know this could happen with B/Ds, but was aware that in snakes it can sometimes happen even if the female has never been with a male. Good luck with the rest of the lay and hopefully she will feel more comfy :) xx

Kalypso

Hatchling Dragon
It used to happen with my chams as well, without male contact. I just always provided a laying bin in the bottom of the enclosure to prevent any kind of egg binding issue.