• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie HATES baths!

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Hi everyone! I know everyone's beardies is different, but my Baby hates baths! He is a slight gray color and hes got a black beard so I know he is about to shed any day now, and I know giving them warm baths help with their shedding process. I try to put my baby in the bath and he probably lasts about 2 minutes in the water and then starts FREAKING out and throwing a tantrum almost it looks like! There was only ONE time in his life that he stayed in a bath and that was when he was outside distracted looking at everything there is to look at. But the sun hasn't been out where I live for a few days now so I do not want to take him outside because I am afraid he would be too cold. I also know that misting the beardie helps with the shedding process which I do too but I obviously sometimes want him to take a bath but he just despises it! Does anyone have any advice on how to calm down a bearded dragon during bath time? I really think it would benefit him but after hes thrashing around and getting scared I don't make him stay in because I don't want to stress him out or traumatize him in anyway! Thanks!

blackclaw83

Juvenile Dragon
Normally black beards means stressed or angered, but i may be wrong. We have found out ares likes the water to be as hot as a babies, and he likes it when we put a rock he can grab onto in with him. You may try that. or let him hold onto your finger....

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
@BlackClaw....It's funny because when I try to let him hold a finger he immediately throws his hand off mine like, "Don't you dare touch me!" lol. He definitely is still stressed from his new habitat but He also definitely needs to shed as well so It's frustrating when I am trying to do the best thing for him and he acts like he is being tortured.

blackclaw83

Juvenile Dragon
OOOOO they are a bunch of drama queens....we named are Spazz for a reason....Until we know the sex of him at least....If he is in fact a she then its Saphera..

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
LOL ya!! Well it's so sad because my baby literally starts thrashing around like a psycho dragon flailing his arms everywhere like he's going to die if he stays in the water for 2 more seconds! So of course I try to keep putting him back in but it hasn't been very successful..lol.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Let him flail around, this is quite normal, it won't hurt him providing the water isn't any deeper than armpit depth when standing, he will soon get used to it, they are good swimmers, will instictively inflate their body with air like a balloon so they will float & can safely submerge for short periods of time. Some even like to swim underwater. Even seasoned bathers will flail around at times. The benefits are well worth it.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Germ....I'll try to keep telling myself that he's not hurt over and over again because it LOOKS like they are in some type of emotional pain or something when they are flailing so much so I will take your advice and just keep sticking him in the water even though he does that. I just know he's already still stressed out from the change of habitat so I was afraid I'd stress him out way to much if I made him stay in the water but I need to do what's right for him and suck it up LOL....;)

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Awwww they are sooo cute!!! Love the way they are playing with each other!! :) The way those babies are flailing all about is EXACTLY how my beardie looks! I just realized something that I need to do also. I noticed those babies were in the plastic container where the walls were high enough where they couldn't jump out, and I have been trying to bathe my baby in a big bowl but the sides are low enough where he can jump out and that has been my problem is that he keeps jumping out on his own. Wow, I should have figured that out on my own! Duh! Oh well, I am still learning! I already put him in water today for about 3 minutes, should I try to bathe him again in the sink where he can't jump out or do you think he has had enough water for today? I don't want to overdue it or anything...

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't think they were playing with each other ;).

If you have already given him a short soak today, I would wait until next time. The sink is a good idea if you don't mind Poop in your sink ;). Keep the temps of the water slightly warmer than you would testing a baby's bottle on your arm. I always recommend around basking temp, approximately 110F. Leave him in the water for 10-15 minutes, adding warm water to keep the temps up, if it cools to much during.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Ok! I was wondering what to do when the warm water turned cooler, which happens pretty fast! I feel a little stupid right now because so many things you have told me seem like common sense, like adding more warm water to the cooler water, but I don't think I would have thought of that on my own! I do have to stop beating myself up so much though because I am still learning! :) Thanks so much for all your quick responses and great advice! And thank you to everyone else on this website as well that has helped me out! It is true about pet stores that they don't tell you most of the information that you really need to know when you first get a bearded dragon, and even the websites I have found don't have a lot of the things I have learned from here! I did a lot of research before buying my beardie but I must say I have learned the most from this website! Thankful to have all of you beardie lovers!!!!

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
My sister's cat lived to be 22 years old!!! How old is your cat? And is he/she in good condition? My cat has hypothyroidism and I actually have to bring her to the vet this week because she has been throwing up. :(

blackclaw83

Juvenile Dragon
That stinks. Im sry to hear that :( . My is 14 i believe. He is over weight, but healthy. Active as all get out and loves to play just husky. Weighs 24 - 25 lbs, i believe. I hope all goes well. Mine was doing that after a big move, hair balls, and stress puke, i got some med to help hair balls from petsmart and kept everything stress free for him. Gave him yum yums, and loving. He also goes nuts for the BRUSH :cool: , so i brushed him everyday. After 3 weeks he was bright as rain. :cool:

Pat B

Super Moderator
Oh my goodness....sounds like you have an 'alpha' beardie....just kidding. I bathe my beardie in the bathtub so he has lots of room to 'thrash' around all he likes. They will swim....just don't have the water so high that he can't ground his feet. It is good for them and there is never a stupid question so ask away!! Good luck and come back often. Lots of good people here that will always help you....:D

Charley

Hatchling Dragon
All mine hate baths but LOVE showers. They'll sit under the shower for as long as I let them, but as soon as I put them in a bath there is complete panic and I get soaked!

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
All mine hate baths but LOVE showers. They'll sit under the shower for as long as I let them, but as soon as I put them in a bath there is complete panic and I get soaked!
Wow that is so interesting that your beardie likes showers! I never would have thought of that! Good idea!:D

Latest posts