• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie Aggression...

BabyBlizzard

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’ve had my beardie since he was just a couple months old. He’s a year now and for some reason he acts defensive when I try to take him out of his cage. He’s been doing this for quite a while now. I don’t understand why he’s acting this way seeing as how I’m the only one who interacts with him. He was in a 40 gallon breeder growing up but now is in a custom built cage that’s equivalent to a 55 gallon. His diet consists of various greens, veggies, and insects (crickets, mealworms, dubia roaches, etc.). The temperatures are 100-110 on one side, and 80 on the opposite, and his habitat is lined with linoleum for easy clean up. He’s defecating is normal as well. I feel as though I’m doing everything correct, so I don’t understand the aggression. It breaks my heart that he acts this way :( Any help would be appreciated.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like your doing well but I am new to Dragons but I do take it you have your lights on a timer? giving him day/night cycles? I've seen several temp ranges in different resources for the different life cycles... I think the cool side should go lower into the mid 70's, the mid range in the 80's and the basking high 90's is what I saw that in some resources I've gone thru. I think the only other thing I can think of is how are you approaching him? from the front or over his head? For obvious reasons coming over his head he may not see you right away. Has he been shedding? Maybe he's turned into a cranky fella :( Again I'm still new to these awesome creatures so keep that in mind just bouncing things..

BabyBlizzard

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sounds like your doing well but I am new to Dragons but I do take it you have your lights on a timer? giving him day/night cycles? I've seen several temp ranges in different resources for the different life cycles... I think the cool side should go lower into the mid 70's, the mid range in the 80's and the basking high 90's is what I saw that in some resources I've gone thru. I think the only other thing I can think of is how are you approaching him? from the front or over his head? For obvious reasons coming over his head he may not see you right away. Has he been shedding? Maybe he's turned into a cranky fella :( Again I'm still new to these awesome creatures so keep that in mind just bouncing things..
Thank you for responding :) Yep he has a daytime light and night time purple light. When I approach him it's from the front (his setup has front sliding doors). And he does shed still on occasion. His head is actually shedding right now.
I don't know what to do to keep him calm.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hmm well I'm out of ideas then :( I hope that he is just going thru a phase and won't stay a cranky fella long. Do you take him outside for some natural vit D and change of scenery?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I do alot of hand feeding to aide in the bond with my Izzy and I take her outside on a hip leash to explore along with doing some hanging out time with us while we watch tv.. I am hoping to keep her social :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He could be tired! Get rid of the purple light for night time heat. They need a temperature drop at night and as long as it doesn't get below 65 degrees he doesn't need a heat source. If it gets lower than 65 then you should use something that doesn't give off light like a ceramic heat emitter.

Bearded dragons can see all sorts of light spectrum that we can't even see. On top of their head is a "third eye" and that eye allows them to see lights and shadow overhead that signals them that a possible threat is looming over them.

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
Well, I'm sorry for replying so late but if it helps you can place a t-shirt you've recently worn in his tank to try and get him to calm down with your scent you can also try hand feeding him
I'm hope your beardie calms down soon :<

Latest posts