• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon upside down

ReptileCraze81

Hatchling Dragon
Recently i purchased a bearded dragon on craigslist with exo terra terraium. The guy gave me a red heat lamp and a uvb spiral bulb. One thing he didnt give was the calcium powder. Anyway tonight i found her upside down and i hurried up and turned her over. After browsing these forums i found out i should be using a 10.0 uvb flourescent hood so i took the last money i had and purchased a zoo med 10.0 hood for her and tonight i found her upside down so dont think Thats a very good sign. Had do over again i wouldn't probably messed with her but just a animal lover that i am i just had to get her and my heart gets me in trouble. Anyway I have a heat lamp also setup for her. She eats a super worm here and there but i thought She could be in brumation stage? I mist her once a day also. So anyway pretty bummed out over this

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
How old is this dragon? It sounds like the previous owner had a lot wrong. Red lights are bad, a regular daytime basking lamp should be used. The coil UVB bulbs are terrible for any species in my opinion, buying her a tube style UVB setup was a great idea on your part. Knowing that she wasn't well cared for, the neurological symptoms could be related to calcium deficiency. Get some calcium and good insects into that girl, proper temps and 12 to 13 hours of light to get her levelled out. It may be that she has another underlying condition, but until you get her calcium levels up, it's hard to say what's related and what's not.

It sounds like you're tight on funds, but if her condition doesn't improve with calcium and proper lighting, you may want to seek out a board certified reptile vet. Dragons are very resilient, and can bounce back from the most severe cases of neglect. Keep working with her, you're doing good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ReptileCraze81

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you Eavlynn appreciate your help. Currently shes only eating super worms maybe i need to go to the petstore and get crickets?. What would you dust with regular calcium or d3? Shes barely eating so What other way can i supplement the calcium ? The guy told me shes about 2 years old so im not exactly sure. Whether that is true or not is hard to say. On average What kind of price am i looking at on a vet trip? Yeah unfortunately very low on money at the present moment on funds to take her. Yeah i want her back in good health i really took a liking to her. I hate to see anything suffer like that.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If you just picked her up, it's not unusual that she would have a decreased appetite. Relocation stress or removing stress often curbs their appetite. Since she isn't eating a lot, I'd get some liquid calcium and not worry too much with D3. The UVB light you got for her will allow her body so synthesize it's own D3 to bind with the calcium.

Vet fees vary, my current vet charges 50 for an exotic appointment, but some vets charge more than that. All you can do is call around and get prices. I strongly suggest a board certified exotic vet. I recently learned that any vet can agree to see reptiles, but haven't taken the in depth reptile specific courses that board certified exotic vets have to take, and this can lead to improper dosages of medication, and oversights in medical diagnoses.

ReptileCraze81

Hatchling Dragon
Well ive had her for about two weeks. Got her and a baby one at same time. I called the veterinarian here they said it would cost $41 just to see her and couldn't tell What the treatment would cost and there is only one that works there that is reptile certified and thats dr Abfall and id have to schedule a apointment with him. Anyway guess ill try to get some liquid calcium for her but how would i do just put on her face and let lick it? Thanks again

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I use a plastic eye dropper (glass can shatter and be accidentally ingested). I put a drop on their mouth and let them lick it off. If they don't, you may have to open her her mouth a bit and then she should start cooperating a bit. This is the method I use for liquid calcium, water, and slurries when necessary.

If she gets worse, you'll want to schedule with Dr. Abfall. Hopefully with some calcium, proper heat and UVB and some good food, she'll start to perk up and get stronger. If you can mount the UVB inside of the enclosure to get her closer to it, that would be a great idea. I drilled holes in the hood of my fixture and used zip ties to hang it from the screen top, for my smallest guy that was in rough shape.

As she settles in, she should start eating more as well. If she goes to the vet, it would be a good idea to take in a fecal sample. That way you know she's free and clear of parasites, and if she's not, you can address them.

ReptileCraze81

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you Eavlynn. I found some liquid calcium zilla spray kind and gave her a little. I couldn't get her mouth open very good but managed to get some in her. How good is these guys vision ?I put some crickets in her tank and she sees them and she shows interest but dont end up eating them. I took a set of tweezers and waved to her mouth but she didnt eat any.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Make sure you give any fluids slowly so you don't accidentally cause aspiration on it..
If she's not feeling well she may not want to eat but it does look good :)

ReptileCraze81

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks for the help. How long should I be giving her the liquid calcium ?Like as in how many days?I got a dropper and open her mouth and gave her a few drops so far.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks for the help. How long should I be giving her the liquid calcium ?Like as in how many days?I got a dropper and open her mouth and gave her a few drops so far.
You don't want to go overboard, and it's easy to do so. A couple drops every other day or so will bring her levels back up. The biggest factor working in her favor is the UVB light you provided. Calcium is something babies need a lot of, so even after you get her levels up, you'll want to continue giving her calcium. Keep an eye on her urates, if you see a yellow tint to them, stop, her calcium levels are getting higher than necessary. Usually, I only see yellow urates in adults, who require less supplementation. If you see a red/pink tint, give her some water as this is a sign of dehydration. I give my kids water via a plastic eye dropper every other day. The urate color method sounds crude and potentially unreliable, but blood tests and changes regarding water intake support my observations thus far :)

ReptileCraze81

Hatchling Dragon
You don't want to go overboard, and it's easy to do so. A couple drops every other day or so will bring her levels back up. The biggest factor working in her favor is the UVB light you provided. Calcium is something babies need a lot of, so even after you get her levels up, you'll want to continue giving her calcium. Keep an eye on her urates, if you see a yellow tint to them, stop, her calcium levels are getting higher than necessary. Usually, I only see yellow urates in adults, who require less supplementation. If you see a red/pink tint, give her some water as this is a sign of dehydration. I give my kids water via a plastic eye dropper every other day. The urate color method sounds crude and potentially unreliable, but blood tests and changes regarding water intake support my observations thus far :)

Great Thanks I truly appreciate your help. I thought about even getting one of those Zoo med power sun that does the uvb/heat in one unit but not sure if I should add that in the mix? I will post a picture of her later im thinking she might be a citrus morph but not sure. Anyway thanks again

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Great Thanks I truly appreciate your help. I thought about even getting one of those Zoo med power sun that does the uvb/heat in one unit but not sure if I should add that in the mix? I will post a picture of her later im thinking she might be a citrus morph but not sure. Anyway thanks again
I contemplated mercury vapor bulbs, but from what I've heard, they can be quite fragile. I opted for separate UVB and basking lights, which has worked well for me.

How is she doing? Still flipping over or showing signs of neuro?

ReptileCraze81

Hatchling Dragon
I contemplated mercury vapor bulbs, but from what I've heard, they can be quite fragile. I opted for separate UVB and basking lights, which has worked well for me.

How is she doing? Still flipping over or showing signs of neuro?

ReptileCraze81

Hatchling Dragon
Hello, I bought one of those zoo med dual dome fixtures. I currently have a 150 watt bulb in for basking but wonder what I could use in the other socket? I had the spiral uvb in it but not sure on anything else? As far as the dragon goes she ate like 6 super worms tonight. I was pretty happy to see that as its the most ive seen her eat since I had her. You think I should probably give her a bit more liquid calcium tomorrow? She seemed more willing to bask and seemed more active. I definitely want to schedule her in for a vet check up soon as I get the extra money. How should I go about giving water ? I have a spray bottle and put a bit and let it drip down is that how I should be giving water? She hasn't flipped or anything fortunately just that one time.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm not sure what I'd put into the other end of the dual dome. She really only needs one basking light. But you have a spare socket should the other one mess up for any reason.

The adult dragon is the one you're referring to, right? I'd check your basking temp. 150 watt bulbs put out a good bit of heat, and as an adult, they only need a basking spot of 100F. I'd give a few more drops of calcium, and see how she does. She seems to be recovering, which leads me to believe she was deficient. After that, I'd give her 2 to 3 drops 2 days out of the week, then keep an eye on urate color.

Her appetite seems to be picking up, which is great. Be careful how many super worms you give her, they are comparable to dessert for dragons. If you can get your hands on some dubia, that would be great.

I give water every other day via a plastic eye dropper. I place it on the end of their mouth and let them lick it up. I don't ever force water, or drop water on their nose if their mouth is open, this seems to cut down on aspiration. The spray bottle trick works too, I just find an eye dropper to be easier to guage and control.

ReptileCraze81

Hatchling Dragon
I'm not sure what I'd put into the other end of the dual dome. She really only needs one basking light. But you have a spare socket should the other one mess up for any reason.

The adult dragon is the one you're referring to, right? I'd check your basking temp. 150 watt bulbs put out a good bit of heat, and as an adult, they only need a basking spot of 100F. I'd give a few more drops of calcium, and see how she does. She seems to be recovering, which leads me to believe she was deficient. After that, I'd give her 2 to 3 drops 2 days out of the week, then keep an eye on urate color.

Her appetite seems to be picking up, which is great. Be careful how many super worms you give her, they are comparable to dessert for dragons. If you can get your hands on some dubia, that would be great.

I give water every other day via a plastic eye dropper. I place it on the end of their mouth and let them lick it up. I don't ever force water, or drop water on their nose if their mouth is open, this seems to cut down on aspiration. The spray bottle trick works too, I just find an eye dropper to be easier to guage and control.

ReptileCraze81

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah im referring to the adult dragon. Im not sure what to do with the other socket either might get a mercury vapor bulb and try that sometime im not sure. Anyway Yeah im going to cut that 150 bulb down to a 100 watt. I have a wired Zoo med probe for temperature reading and a wireless Zoo med infrared meter. On average how long do these guys like being under the heat to bask? I am running a little on the hot side and im going to remove one of those bricks. I will get some Dubai roachs but would you happen to know of anywhere a person could get a good buy on Dubai? I purchased on ebay but there really expensive. I would like to get quite a few because my veiled chameleon like them as well. Crickets provide very little nutritional value ? Any other good feeder these guys like that goes far? I will give her a couple drops of calcium here in a few minutes.Thanks

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you might find a reptile store which sells dubias - but they can be a bit expensive. although I recently found one that wasn't too bad. up until then I have bought off of Craigslist. several times. just be sure to meet the seller in a well lit populated area - gas stations are generally pretty good. crickets are a pain. I also feed superworms. there are other types of worms available, but since I cant get them readily - lets see - silk worms, hornworms, hmm - check the links below for some more suggestions

Latest posts