• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon Taming Questions

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello Everyone!

I've been working every day to bond with my new dragon Fernando, and I want to be sure I'm doing things right. For starters, his current enclosure is a glass tank with a screen lid on top of a dresser so my cats can't reach him. I have begun building his wooden enclosure that will have side doors and be cat proof, but it'll be another week or two until it's finished. So, as of right now I have no choice but to come in from above him to grab him or feed him. I've been trying to put my hand as far away as possible so he can see it coming in and hopefully not feel ambushed, but I think he's been scared a few times. Is this going to cause long term problems, or will it not be a problem once he's in his new enclosure? I don't want to traumatize him!

Also, I fed him supers from my hand this morning while holding him and that seemed to go well, but when I go to put him back in his cage he squirms and tries to leap to get back in there. I've been holding him until he's calm and if he squirms while I'm lowering him I take him back out or hold him gently in my hand until he stop squirming before I release him. Is this over the top, or should I continue with this? In words it sounds like a good approach, but when I look in his eyes he's like "come on! seriously, let me go!!" Hahaha

He's currently shedding, but he hates baths. I've given him a few baths and dribbled water on him other days to keep his moisture up. I'm scared to bath him too much while he's still bonding with me. I don't want his hatred of water to override the work I've done and cause him to associate me with a bad time. Any ideas on how to handle this?

I know this is a rant, thanks for reading guys. I'm probably overthinking all of this. I've watched lots of videos and read a lot on how to tame him, but I keep worrying I'm making mistakes here and there and he'll grow big and hate me!

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
welcome. sounds like you're on the right track. I agree with not bathing him - for now. misting is fine. he wont hate you. but remember - they're all individuals and do not all have the same personalities !

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree with Canicke, sounds like you are on a good track with him. Just remember to make slow movements around him. As far as the bath goes, he's not going to hold it against you. I have a 3 1/2 year old male that has always hated baths but doesn't get upset with me for giving them. Just as long as I burrito wrap him afterwards and give him kisses, he's okay :)

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys, thanks for your responses and encouragement! I fed him both his breakfast and dinner by hand today, and he seemed much calmer when I bribed him with food. As soon as he's full up though he starts trying to run off my hand and explore. The exploration isn't so bad since he is young and I'm sure that's expected, but I can't tell if he's just eager to look around or if he doesn't enjoy being in my hand. He does open his mouth a little and shy away by scrunching his body when I put my hand in to pick him up, but he hasn't tried to bite at all and never opens his mouth angrily once he's out of the cage. Occasional mild beard flaring is all he does that shows anger or fear when he's out with me, but never turns black... comes off more like uncertainty than aggressiveness.

Overall, he just doesn't seem to trust me yet, and definitely seems wary and a bit uncomfortable when I get up close to the terrarium. I've had him 2 weeks already and have worked with him almost every day so I would've thought he'd be calming down by now, but as you said they are all different. Is it common that some take a bit longer to warm up? I don't know why I'm worrying so much! I appreciate all the help and patience with my rambling concerns! :p

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your on the right track keep it up.. sounds like a boy! lol mine was like yours for a while until he got used to his home.. didn't like to be handled would just squirm he still kinda does at a year old.. lol They are all soo different my female has been laid back from the very beginning.Try more handeling closer to bed time/lights out when they are not as alert.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Every dragon is different. I find that most people with boys, complain about the same things LOL! My by at 3 1/2 STILL glass dances in his tank and insists on coming out. He doesn't like to snuggle, he just wants to run free. It's exhausting but thankfully one of my girls is a huge snuggle bug :)

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh man, I didn't realize boys were notorious for that. I specifically requested a male from the breeder because I thought they got bigger! Well, good to know his behavior isn't unusual. I held him this morning and fed him more supers from my hands, and he definitely was wayyy calmer today. Barely tried to run off at all. I think once he realized he might not get food if not with me, he decided he had better calm down. Hahaha Thanks for all your input you guys! Hopefully he will chill out as he ages, but I'm glad I'm not doing anything wrong. I suppose it's fun to have my first one be a bit of a challenge. Will be more satisfying once I earn his love.

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
@PatsyB It's funny to imagine your dragon like "Yayyyy! I'm free! Galloping derpily across a carpet or something until he's snatched by the hand."

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I always said if I got my boy first I would only have one dragon! He really was a handful when he was younger. He still is, but he's my healthiest one. He willingly eats his bugs and salad. He's got great fat pads, never been sick. He's a little rough looking in spots because he rubs his scales on everything but he's in good shape.

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Dang, well I expect to have more dragons and animals in general in the future as the herpetology hobby greatly interests me. I already have toads and frogs, but they're more observational pets than interactive. The dragon is my first reptile to tame, so its a wild ride haha! I'm glad to hear your male is very healthy, he sounds like a bundle of fun. Are many of your dragons difficult to feed? Is that common with dragons? Hope I never have to syringe feed! Although, I haven't gotten him to eat any greens yet, so we'll see how that goes...

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
@PatsyB @Canicke @Hdrydr31 Hey everyone! Tagged you all because I don't know if any of you have experience with this. I have one more fun question regarding taming (sort of).

So, my dragon has pooped while I've been holding him twice now. The first time, he was being spastic, but I figured it was an accident. I put him back to clean up then took him back out to show him he can't get out of being held by pooping. This morning, it happened again, but this time I powered through and held him even after he pooped. He was super calm other than the pooping! I think maybe I've just grabbed him when he had to go and it was an accident!? Anyone have experience with this? I know poop comes with having animals, but I don't want my lizard to decide I'm his personal toilet! Aah!

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I really think it's coincidental. My girl will actually try to get off of me when she has to poop – I learned that the hard way. When you pick him up just grab a few extra squares of toilet tissue or a Kleenex. Watch for the tell tale tail raise and hind end wiggle. When you see that put him down and put the Kleenex underneath his bum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hmm well good to know. I definitely saw that tail rise comin this morning, but it was too late.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I always take mine out after they poop in the tank! Dolly has gone on my floor a few times and I've been pooped on only once by both Dolly and Luci.

@Squish Luci, my boy is he only one that is a perfect eater. Dexter, my oldest girl, will only eat bugs and I have to sneak salad pieces in her mouth while she chews. Dolly, my other girl will go on hunger strikes and I syringe feed her coconut water because she gets dehydrated.

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Wow, sounds like some challenging dragons you have! Glad your boy is good and hungry. I haven't been able to get Fernando to eat greens yet, so I might have to try the sneaking method. Otherwise, he has warmed up to me a ton the past few days! Thanks for all the help everyone, I'm finally starting to feel better about my taming of him haha