• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon seizure (pics)

vincewa

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Today my bearded dragon has had its second seizure this month and does not seem to be coming around well from this one. its about 1 year old about a foot long has been very healthy before the first seizure accrued. He is in about a 75 gallon tank for the past month and a half and currently does not have any bedding but news paper which is changed every 3 days he is given water and lettuce every day and carrots, crickets, and meal worms randomly every other day. about 2 weeks ago i noticed the side of his face turning pale a few days after his legs shed and his tail but his tail is still gray today i noticed the other side of his face starting to get pale also. Im not sure if this has to do with the seizures or not im just stating info. I have been leaving his heat lamp on 24/7 because of how cold it has been out. Does any one know what could be causing the seizures and his face to turn pale. His first seizure lasted about 15 seconds then he got up and ran around the tank for about 10 seconds then would not let me touch him the rest of the day. Today's seizure wasn't as bad but had way worse after effects. He walked very tall on his legs to the corned of the tank and then had a seizure that lasted about 5 second but after that he stayed limp and couldn't move for about a min and a half now he get scared when i go near him but does not seem as healthy like how he was after his last seizure. Please help thank you. {I just want up to check on him and he got very angry and his beard puffed out when i pulled my hand away he proceeded to chase it after my hand fully left the cage he had another seizuire this time he fell off hsi log and landed on his back just a four inch drop i flipped him on his stomach and left him alone in hope it would calm him down he stayed stiff for about 10 second maybe 15 and layed with his mouth open for about 1 min now he just lays there looking around.} Some one please help what should i do??
Picture006.jpg

Picture005.jpg

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The pale skin onn the face and tail is simply shedding.
Nothing unusual there.
As far as seizures go I just dont know. Sorry

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
seizures represent metabolic or neuroligical problems. I recommend a blood test for CA and vitamin levels.

Now that you have the recommendation......can you more vividly describe this seizure? Shaking?

Also a rundown of your enclosure including lighting and temps would be helpful.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay... Let's deal with these seizures. First, remove anything "high" he can fall off of, and lower his UVB and Heat .
I'm going to ask several questions. They need to be answered to give you the best help.
Which UVB are you using ? Brand name please.
How old is this light ?
What distance is it from your dragon at the closet point?
What do you mean by "heat lamp"? Is it light or a heat element ?
Do you use any vitamins or calcium supplementation ? If so, I would like your dosing schedule and the brands of both please.

Okay diet... Lots missing here. I'll offer you this list, choose daily foods from the Green colored items... Treats from the Black colored items (1-2 times a week).
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

This fellow is around a year in age, yes ? And you say this all started in the last month ? Or have you seen odd behaviors before that... ?
I hope the information so far will help and we will all wait on your answers.
I'd go ahead and schedule an appt with your Herp Vet (should you have one, if now we can direct you to one...)

Gina.. you beat me to it.
Janie

vincewa

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The highest he could fall in the cage is about 6 to 8" high the first time he had a seizure he had it on top of his box and fell off the highest point the second time he fell off walked to the other side of the cage and had the seizure and then the one right after that he had one on his log and fell off while having the seizure.
His seizure is usually a pulse seizure like his legs usually shake untill they are up behind his head and his hole body will constrict as this is happening and he usually dont move for 2 mins. Idk if i described that right or not.
Im using a flucker heat lamp 100w 120v im not sure if hat produces the proper UV lights im pretty sure it doesnt cause i was gona bring him out side to sun bath to get his uv rays but never have the time. The light is probably over a year old. At the closest point the light is about 6" away, and the temperature in his basking area stays at a steady 95F and the rest of the cage varies. Yes i did mean heat light he has no rock. And no ive never given him vitamins and calcium dust the guy at the pet store told me with the diet im providing him he was getting plenty of calcium im starting to think he was wrong. Up untill a month ago the lizard acted 100% normal untill his first seizure even after he got over his first seizure he seemed to still act normal but now he seems like he might of been injured from the last 2. Im going out 2 day to get bedding a new heat lamp and his calcium dust does anyone recommend i get anything else??

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Fairly certian that your issue is metabolic.
A few changes will assist you.......but if you're able to incorporate the use of a vet for a calcium injection you'll have a jump start on your problem.

First things first.......
you'll need a repti sun 10.0 (www.lllreptile.com) or mercury vapor bulb (www.reptileuv.com) such as the Mega Ray. These bulbs provide UVB essential for metabolizing calcium. You'll also need the heat bulb you currently have (no need to replace until it burns out), and a fixture to hold which ever of the UVB or MVB bulbs you choose.

Second is the incorporation of vitamins and calcium. He'll need herptivite 2 x a week and liquid calcium to work on his levels for the time being while you also work on the funds for a full vet workup. You can purchase the liquid calcium at www.beautifuldragons.com in the store.

follow the guidelines Janie indicated for feeding and he should show progress rather quickly.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm sorry you are having these issues with your dragon. The ladies appear to have taken you under their wings and have provided great advice. I just want to spell out that UV is very essential for these creatures to thrive in captivity. If you go with the ReptiSun 10.0, make sure you get the tube and NOT the coil. They can go outside when the weather is great then 85F.

Also, mealworms should be cut out of his diet. They offer no nutritional value and are difficult for a bearded dragon to digest.

If you are in need of a herp vet, here is a link to find one in your area:
Herp Vet Directory

vincewa

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
well today i want to my local pet shop were i got the beardie she said its most likely a lack of calcium so i brought 3 dozen crickets calcium dust dusted the crickets and his lettuce i also got some nice desert sand bedding for him. I put about a dozen crickets in his cage. he ate 2 of them before the rest could scatter then idk what was going on but 2 crickets were stuck together and he want up and ate them and in the process had yet another seizure. Tomorrow the weather is suppose to be fair so im getting a tub to put him in so he can sun bath and get his uv rays. Am i going in the right direction so far??

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hard to say if you are in the right direction.

Seizures are not a good sign. Have you looked into getting a UV light? Beardies need about 8-10 hours of UV light per day.

I'll let you know that sand is very controversial. I used it AFTER my beardie was 1 year old. I did replace it due to the cleanliness of it. Sand can work, but you'll need to replace it regularly and remove any poopies as soon as they happen. Sand can harbor bacteria. And it has been said to possibly cause impaction in bearded dragons.

vincewa

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yea i got a couple bags so once it starts to smell i can change it out and i got the scooper to pick up any messes he has. Other than that i am going out tomorrow to get the uv light for him. He doesnt seem to be eating much idk im very worried and if things dont look better after christmas im gona have to bring him in to see a reptile vet. Im hoping it doesnt get to that point but id rather that then loose my 80 dollar lizard who ive grown so attached to. I really apreciate all the advice and help i have recieved from everyone and i will continue to keep u posted on his behavior he seems to be calm now and he lets me pet him here and there but he doesnt seem to be moving around much. The lady at the pet store said to let him bath in about half an inch of room temp water. Is this true??

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh yes, bathing is great for several reasons... first it hydrates your reptile, under those high temps, second it is a huge aid in shedding. Third... most will use the bath as the toilet area.. less chance that feces and urates are left to grow bacterias in that sand ( thus the odor) so your dragon isn't living in a litter box.
Forth... well some dragons... love to swim... Great exercise for all the muscle groups !

Feel free to pm myself or ladyknite (Gina) for further inquiries. Or post them here in this thread... we'll be watching to hear good news !
Janie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, baths are ideal for beardies of all ages. I recommend beardies under 6 monts to be bathed daily. After a year, it can be once a week. The water should be no higher than their shoulders and it should be the temp of baby bath water - human baby that is, about 95F.

I think a vet visit is ideal, especially since he has had multiple seizures.

vincewa

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello everyone sorry its been a while since ive updated Rexs' conditions. Christmas night i came home rex still hadent eaten and i dont think he has any seizures that day but i took some crickets threw them in the tank and he ignored them. So i kinda pushed one so it would slowly move his way and CHOMP he ate it :) after that i got him 2 eat 2 more crickets yesterday i got him to eat again more crickets. So all is well now i really appreciate everyone's help it really drove me crazy every time i saw him having a seizure. He still has yet to eat the Romain lettuce but im sure as he comes back around he will. He still is a lil cautious when my hand approaches him but a lil rub on the back and hes all fine. I did go out and i got a 10.0 UVB 26 watt repti glo i couldn't find the one that was recommended but figured that was close enough. His face is starting to go back to normal and his shedding has continued were it left off. Thank you everyone when he is done shedding i will take some pics so u can see. Thanks again everyone and happy new year.

angel

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well the ladys on here seem to have you taken care of but i thought id ask if you use your heat lamp at night as well?some beardys can get stressed by this such as mine so on those cold nights i use a ceramic heater it screws in the same fixture and emits heat without the light. Your prob sounds metabolic but thought maybe the 24hr light was bothering him a bit as well. Good luck hope to see some pictures soon =)

vincewa

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I keep it on sometimes because recently the nights have been quiet cold but his heat lamp is above a box i cut a hole out of for him to go in and out and he usually goes in there and sleeps alot

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i also got some nice desert sand bedding for him

reptile sand sold in stores isn't good for any animal. It hardens in the digestive tract if consumed, and all dragons will consume some amount at some time. Your best solution is to go with a non adhesive shelf liner, it doesn't hold the damaging properties of tile on a metabolic issue, but gives traction and low impact support.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would get a heat emitter if you night temps drop below 65F. I wouldn't keep the light on at night. They do not get a rested sleep with lights on. They tend to get confused and think it is day time.

Latest posts