• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon nails

LilytheBeardie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi guys, I was just wondering if any of you other beardie owners are experiencing the same thing with your beardies.... Anytime I take my baby beardie out to play, she climbs on me and then I notice (like five minutes later) little red dots where her nails held on to me all over my arms and stuff.. it looks almost like an allergy but it's obviously not unless the bacteria under her nails is inflaming my skin where her nails are puncturing it a little? I dont know, but I was just wondering whether you guys have a similar issue and is there any way to do anything about it? Except of course always wearing long sleeves or never taking her out lol

Bolt and Flapjacks Mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi. I'm not entirely sure that it's the same thing or not but I had an allergy or reaction to my squirrel...well, not just her but any time I foster and they get to the active stage and start climbing. Every one of them would cause me to break out during that time and even itch. After a couple weeks it went away with each one. I have not experienced this with my beardies though. My older one I still can't hold much and my little one is too new and little to hold often. They do sell reptile nail clippers if you think a trim is in order. I bought some little small animal ones for like $4 at Petsmart. I haven't had to trim my beardies nails but I trim my water dragons nail tips every so often. I only take the tiny tip off. If not they actually leave scratch marks on me when climbing me.

LilytheBeardie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
yea, mine is gone soon too but its still very annoying cuz it is itchy and hurts sometimes because I'm constantly scratching at it.... you don't think that it's bad to trim their nails since they have to climb stuff in their tanks to get closer to the warmest spots? And is it similar to trimming other animals' nails? I trim my cats and bunny's nails all the time

Bolt and Flapjacks Mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I only trim the tiniest point when I trim nails. My water dragons and squirrel are not affected at all when climbing. The first time I did my squirrels nails I did trim them too short and she fell a couple times because she couldn't hold on. I figured out not to take much off and they're fine. My water dragons love climbing high and I've never personally had one problem with them after a trim. Someone has told me before to try a nail file and just run it across the nails to soften the sharpest tip. Any one have any comments on that? I've never tried it.

LilytheBeardie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
oooh... good idea on the tile... I'm still in the papertowel stage... What kind of time would you use? lol like regular tile for bathroom floors or something?

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well Slate seems to be a popular choice for a lot of owners, but I use a sealed textured tile. Bascially if it is smooth then it is useless as they can't get traction. It has to have some texture.

Latest posts