• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon hurt finger

JawsM23

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, we noticed one of our dragons fingers is swollen and I have contacted a vet, done some research and not sure a vet can do much. Looking for advice. Anything I can do to help him. He is not a very active dragon but will still move around when he wants just fine. Any help would be wonderful.

Attachments

• IMG_3908.jpeg
    IMG_3908.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3910.jpeg
    IMG_3910.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, we noticed one of our dragons fingers is swollen and I have contacted a vet, done some research and not sure a vet can do much. Looking for advice. Anything I can do to help him. He is not a very active dragon but will still move around when he wants just fine. Any help would be wonderful.
Do you have a hammock in the tank ? Are you using green carpet in the tank? We see these injuries often and they usually heal on their own - good uvb- is imperative for healing

JawsM23

Bearded Dragon Egg
What is in the domes? The uvb is in the tank ? brand and bulb please-- do you have one dragon or two?
One to the left is a basking lamp “zoo Med “ 75w , the other dome is just heat lamp no color because it wasn’t getting over 75 in the tank . The UVB is zoo med reptisun T8 10.0. Should it not be in the tank? 1 Dragon.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
One to the left is a basking lamp “zoo Med “ 75w , the other dome is just heat lamp no color because it wasn’t getting over 75 in the tank . The UVB is zoo med reptisun T8 10.0. Should it not be in the tank? 1 Dragon.
Ok T 8's are not real strong for UVB and yes it has to be in the tank distance 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor piece -- not over 6 months old-- I would recommend you upgrade to a T 5 - you will need to buy a new fixture they are a skinnier bulb -- as far as swelling goes it looks to have been snagged on something then pulled - the vet wont be able to do much w/ it -- but you UVB is whats gonna help that foot heal --

JawsM23

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok T 8's are not real strong for UVB and yes it has to be in the tank distance 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor piece -- not over 6 months old-- I would recommend you upgrade to a T 5 - you will need to buy a new fixture they are a skinnier bulb -- as far as swelling goes it looks to have been snagged on something then pulled - the vet wont be able to do much w/ it -- but you UVB is whats gonna help that foot heal --
Thank you , I will make this change. I will continue to watch the toe.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do you have a hammock in the tank ? Are you using green carpet in the tank? We see these injuries often and they usually heal on their own - good uvb- is imperative for healing
I'll have Tracie the vet tech on the board look and see if she can recommend anything
@Drache613

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That looks like it probably hurts a bit. Unfortunately when they break a finger which is so small, it is
virtually impossible for them to set.
However, what you can do, is to get some athletic type of tape & some toothpicks sized down to the
length of the finger. You can essentially make shift a cast by encircling the finger but first, gently try
to straighten out the finger as best you can. Gently wrap the tape around with the sticky side out so
it doesn't stick to the finger scales for several rounds up & down the finger to secure the toothpicks
as a little cast. To add more support, you could gently tape the broken finger to the finger next to it
for more support & to help the cast stay in place better.
This will hopefully help it heal up to some extent & keep circulation going so the finger doesn't die.

Let us know how that goes.
Tracie

JawsM23

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

That looks like it probably hurts a bit. Unfortunately when they break a finger which is so small, it is
virtually impossible for them to set.
However, what you can do, is to get some athletic type of tape & some toothpicks sized down to the
length of the finger. You can essentially make shift a cast by encircling the finger but first, gently try
to straighten out the finger as best you can. Gently wrap the tape around with the sticky side out so
it doesn't stick to the finger scales for several rounds up & down the finger to secure the toothpicks
as a little cast. To add more support, you could gently tape the broken finger to the finger next to it
for more support & to help the cast stay in place better.
This will hopefully help it heal up to some extent & keep circulation going so the finger doesn't die.

Let us know how that goes.
Tracie
Thank you so much Tracie! I will definitely do this and hope for faster results.

JawsM23

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you, I made him a little cast (which he didn’t like me doing) and left it on for a few days, took it off yesterday to check on it and it wasn’t sticking up like it was previously so good sign! Moving in the right direction I did confirm I have T5 & not T8 UVB so even better. I left the cast off for today and will replace tonight, it also shedding so I’m going to take it as a good sign blood flow is still working. Appreciate everyone’s help, I’ll update in a week or sooner if we have better results!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you, I made him a little cast (which he didn’t like me doing) and left it on for a few days, took it off yesterday to check on it and it wasn’t sticking up like it was previously so good sign! Moving in the right direction I did confirm I have T5 & not T8 UVB so even better. I left the cast off for today and will replace tonight, it also shedding so I’m going to take it as a good sign blood flow is still working. Appreciate everyone’s help, I’ll update in a week or sooner if we have better results!
For a T 5 distance should be 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor w/ NO screen - if you have a wide hole screen it can stay on top but distance would need to be 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Great job! You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of your cast for him, would you? I am anxious
to see how it is working out for him, bless him. Hopefully it is healing up pretty well. He may end up
having a bit of a crook there, but, hopefully it will keep him from losing the toe.
That is definitely a great sign if that toe or general area there is shedding. Does the color in that area
look normal then?
Awesome that you have a Reptisun 10 T5, that is definitely better than a T8. Keep us updated on his progress.

Tracie

JawsM23

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

Great job! You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of your cast for him, would you? I am anxious
to see how it is working out for him, bless him. Hopefully it is healing up pretty well. He may end up
having a bit of a crook there, but, hopefully it will keep him from losing the toe.
That is definitely a great sign if that toe or general area there is shedding. Does the color in that area
look normal then?
Awesome that you have a Reptisun 10 T5, that is definitely better than a T8. Keep us updated on his progress.

Tracie
The color seems to change but right now it looks like a little whiter like it’s going to shed more I know yesterday when I was redoing the cast some shed came off again. It stays a little flat for a day or two after the cast but goes back up. I feel like it looks better than before. The cast isn’t as tight this time just bc it was a little more difficult to wrap and didn’t want to upset him. I just take a cocktail stick/toothpick thing and then wrap it around. . Photo attached.

Attachments

• IMG_4035.jpeg
    IMG_4035.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4035.jpeg
    IMG_4035.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That looks pretty good! I guess he is probably used to
it by now. As long as it's helped him out with the healing
process that's all that matters!
So the finger was shedding then? That's great news, it
sounds like it is healing up & there is circulation present,
too.

Tracie

JawsM23

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes it was shedding. The cast was on for a few days and off for a few days. He was out today enjoying some sun. But the finger is super white now, I am hoping it’s shed I hope to see it shedding tomorrow as he had a bath today. Should I be more concerned or wait to see if it sheds again? It’s not up as much as it was before so I feel like that’s a good sign :( .. but it’s still the same size.

Attachments

• IMG_4139.jpeg
    IMG_4139.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4145.jpeg
    IMG_4145.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

The finger is definitely white! It does look larger. Did it shed previously & now it's going to shed again?
It looks very thick indeed. Is it dark or discolored, it's hard to tell. I wonder how well it healed up with the
cast on it?
You have done a phenomenal job treating his finger. I hope that it turns out alright. Keep an eye on it,
& after his bath maybe it will loosen up so you can see what's going on with it. Let us know how it looks
later on in the day.

Tracie

Latest posts