• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bathing

Honchess

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I keep seeing you all talk about bathing your dragons... my quextions are: what water temp? how deep? How long? Dry him off? I assume you aren't scrubbing him or anything like that, but just letting him sit in the water...
The general has slowed way down on his eating and hasn't pooped in a couple days. I'm worrying about him...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Warm water like you would for a baby. I put them in up to their chest. Sometimes they will put their head down and drink the water, which is just fine, sometimes they will just stand there. Dexter likes the sprayer and has this game where she starts with her head under the sprayer then keeps moving forward slightly so the water hits every part of her body. Luci likes to pretend he's afraid and then after 5 min he just starts swimming! Sometimes I use an extra soft toothbrush on them if they are shedding or they are dirty. After the bath they get dried off real good and put back in the tank to warm up.

You should be giving the General a bath at least once a week. Helps keep the skin hydrated and helps with bowl movements.

Penelopesmom

Hatchling Dragon
Warm water just like a baby. If General does not drink from the water you can try dripping it on the tip of his nose so it runs down to his mouth a drop at a time he will probably get the going and start drinking. I know some people who have gotten it so their beardie goes to the bathroom in the tub and not the enclosure. I have not been so lucky.

Honchess

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks for all your advice. I'm going to have to buy a tote for him to bathe in!! I only have a shower and the sink is too small. I'm sure he NEEDS on!! I'm feeling guilty because I haven't bathed him sooner. I believe he is preparing to shed. I keep finding little patches of scale in his tank but nothing on top.... I'm ea bath will help..

I have been terribly worried these last three days because he was off his feed and wasn't pooping!! Last Monday morning I turned his heat lamp on and it flashed then went out! I got a standard light bulb and put in until I could get another heat lamp. Is it possible he was too cold during the day and a half until I could get a ride to the store to buy him a new one? He usually chows down on a big bowl full of greens plus worms or crickets or whatever else. But these last few days, since he has only eaten a few mouthfuls of greens and then gone back to his basking place (He has a new heat lamp and UV light since Tuesday evening.) And he wasn't pooping!!
He usually poops every other day. I know people say theirs go everyday, but The General has never done that...

Today, thank the Lord!, he chowed down again and pooped. YAY... But help me out... Any explanation for his not eating right for three days and not pooping for five!! (His bowel movement this morning was completely normal. Usual amount and everything..) Do you suppose he is just now getting back on track since the day of cooler temps. Our house is 76 all the time so he wasn't freezing, but he was cooler than usual.

My daughter sent a photo of him covered up in his blanket for the night to the lady who used to own him.. She couldn't believe we would cover him up! I doubt if he has ever been so fussed over in his entire life!!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You're welcome. It's possible he was too cold to eat. They warm up and then eat.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's real good to do a bath because it helps with the shed but also helps them poop. My girl Dexter will only poop in water, she's such a princess and doesn't want to dirty her tank!

He probably didn't eat because he was cold, sounds like he's getting back on track though.

Honchess

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
:D ;) The General got what I believe was his first bath ever today!! He was a little panicky at first. I don't think he knew what was happening...He scrambled all around. I was afraid he would hurt himself, he was so frantic. He likes to be wrapped up so my daughter thought of sitting him on a washcloth and folding it gently over his back... He LOVED it. When we poured water over his back and rubbed his head with wet fingers, he actually closed his eyes. We were afraid to leave him long because the water cooled off fast, but he soaked in the water wrapped in his washcloth for a little while. He was almost in a trance...:) He's stretched out on his basking log now thinking about eating some dandelions.

I think next time he'll be more relaxed and enjoy it even more....

Honchess

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
10576997_750605891629312_8526369654654114214_n.jpg

Here he is after his bath! isn't he a sweetie...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's a great idea with the wash cloth, glad he enjoyed it. When I put Luci in the tub he gets real nervous and I actually have to hold his front legs for awhile until he gets used to it. After that he starts swimming and no there's no stopping him!

Honchess

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Patsy, the washcloth idea worked wonderfully. We just spread it on the bottom and set The General on it diagonally. Still holding him we folded one side then the other loosely over his back. He relaxed and enjoyed the process. After a couple minutes we folded the washcloth back and he was ok....

Honchess

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I got a large tote for The General's baths. He still doesn't seem to enjoy them, but he does tolerate him more. My question is this, how will his back shed? His legs and lower body are leaving patches of old skin in the water when he is in his bath, but not the back or head... Will that come off in patches or in one piece or WHAT?

:rolleyes: Yes, I know, here I am back again in a panic. Can't help it. I do love the little guy.:confused:
(He's romping around his tank working on a poop right now. LOL)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The back can come off in pieces or in chunks of pieces. Make sure he has decoration in his tank that he can rub against to help get it off.

Latest posts