• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bait shop crickets?

MuggleMaggie

Hatchling Dragon
Can I trust bait shop crickets, or do I have to buy them from a pet store? Are the suppliers all the same? My normal cricket place had a virus that killed off all of their crickets... and I need some!

stumpy

Hatchling Dragon
I wouldn't trust them. I would order online from one of the venders on here. Like phat jacks farm There super fast and good.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Tough call. They're PROBABLY ok, but who knows. If they breed them on-site AND you can see how they're kept and what they're fed then MAYBE.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can I trust bait shop crickets, or do I have to buy them from a pet store? Are the suppliers all the same? My normal cricket place had a virus that killed off all of their crickets... and I need some!

My brother wondered why I wouldn't go out and buy WalMart crickets for Allie and I told that crickets there aren't fed anything and are crammed into little dirty containers. Who knows the type of germs and parasites existing in those small containers.

It's better to be safe than sorry. I'd go with a breeder that specializes in feeders for reptiles and amphibians. I had been using one breeder from California, but switched to Fluker Farms. They smell less and are much cleaner.

I heard of this virus wiping out cricket colonies. (That's my worst nightmare so I keep my colony clean and in the house.) I read that the stores may purchase these red crickets that do bite us and our babies. I use something called 'Banded Crickets'. According to Flukers, they are very hardy and last longer.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Over the years, Bait shops have always had a bad rep as a source for feeders, as their breeders have been known to not be as clean & sanitary as breeders for reptile feeders. Poses a higher risk of introducing parasites & disease.

MuggleMaggie

Hatchling Dragon
Over the years, Bait shops have always had a bad rep as a source for feeders, as their breeders have been known to not be as clean & sanitary as breeders for reptile feeders. Poses a higher risk of introducing parasites & disease.

I ended up just ordering from Fluker's. Wow! I cannot believe how much CHEAPER they are! even with shipping!

Latest posts