• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Background tips

stijngh

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys,

Currently I have this default background that came with my 40 gallon tank, treated 3 times with the correct glue and sand to make it more rough. However the glue is still present at some small areas causing my beardie to get glue on his nails. This worries me but I have no idea on how to fix it other than getting a new background (and making it rough again?) or removing it..

So what I was wondering:
Is a background a must-have for my beardie to get a more comfy feeling in his tank?
Are there any other creative background solutions? (Apart from an (in my opinion) boring picture)

Side note:
He does like his background and tries to climb it every now and than, but he does fall a lot because of the loose sand on the small areas.

View media item 312View media item 313

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
Your pictures have an error with them.

Most people with backgrounds in the terrarium take them out because crickets tend to get behind the background and hide there during the day coming out at night stressing the beardie out as its trying to sleep.

If your background is a better fit than most, you might be able to do something with grout. Once dry, it will be rough filing the nails for you, and should be strong enough to hold a full grown beardie that wants to climb it. With a foam backing you can actually have ledges and alternate basking spots. I saw a video on youtube a while ago for a basking bridge construction but dont see why it wouldnt work for backgrounds too.

Derek

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
With both my beardies I covered their tank with just plain construction paper when they were settling in. Once they were settled I took it off and they seem to like being able to see the whole room, they are very nosey LOL!

drzebra

Juvenile Dragon
I just use aquarium backgrounds on three sides to make it look nice(r) and bright(er).

I have an unused terrarium that came with a foam background that I used for feeding and had all of the problems of the bugs getting behind it. Not for me.

I also have to imagine that scrubbing poop off the foam could be unpleasant.

Krystie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I used a desert/rock/a lil greenery aquarium background for Telgar....I'm looking into changing it to a true desert scene but it keeps him happier

Fender09

Bearded Dragon Egg
I don't have my beardie yet, but I know that I plan to do a tile background. It's a display tank so I want it to be nice.

Krystie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I wanted a desert scene, but those are nearly impossible to find in the right size and for a reasonable price.
I found on desert scene at a small petstore here, and it's only a dollar a foot which in the grand scheme of things is pretty cheap...

behnk99k

Hatchling Dragon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431822159.113678.jpg

I got this one off Amazon, for a good price. Also they cut to fit. Our tank is 48, by 24 by 18, so it was hard to find in stores.

Latest posts