• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Ivan not eating. Tried everything!

kmiz13

Hatchling Dragon
This is my enclosure can you tell me how far the UVB is supposed to be away from the bearded dragon. My little guy seems to not want to eat for the last couple of days He ate really well for the first week we had him and now he's not eating at all He licked a little bit of butternut squash off of a little spoon for me today but not nearly enough what am I doing wrong. I have a reptisan t5 UBV stretched all across the entire top of the screen. Temperature is around 88° humidity is probably 40 and he just keeps turning his head away from food. I did post a picture of my enclosure.

Attachments

• 20231119_094440.jpg
    20231119_094440.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is my enclosure can you tell me how far the UVB is supposed to be away from the bearded dragon. My little guy seems to not want to eat for the last couple of days He ate really well for the first week we had him and now he's not eating at all He licked a little bit of butternut squash off of a little spoon for me today but not nearly enough what am I doing wrong. I have a reptisan t5 UBV stretched all across the entire top of the screen. Temperature is around 88° humidity is probably 40 and he just keeps turning his head away from food. I did post a picture of my enclosure.
Please get 2 digital probe thermometers -- place one on the surface of the slate basking spot- I am thinking it may be too hot he looks like hes sitting off to the side of the light- slate gets very hot -- you want surface basking temps 105-110 for a baby up till 6 months of age--- next the UVB needs to be unobstructed -- screens block 30% of the rays - take your screen off and or pull it forward so the UVB bulb is unobstructed -- distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece--- hes not eating because this is off - once you get everything adjusted temps UVB he should start eating again-- if not there is another issue going on--- this is all crucial for his health and behavior-- please get a digital probe hygrometer place the probe on the center back wall of the tank -- Exo Terra makes these https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?_pos=1&_sid=ac857912b&_ss=r- optimal humidity 40-50% -- this helps w/ shedding -- make sure hes hydrated by dropping water on his nose to see if he will lick-- bathing is too stressful so its better to offer water on the nose and rinse his greens / salads before serving he will get moisture from them
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info its outdated and a great staple feeder
please get him some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com use as lures to the salad bowl use as many as you want they are a great staple feeder -- he can probably eat large as they are a small larvea -- https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
If you need more help please ask-- get your tank adjustments done then watch the behavior

kmiz13

Hatchling Dragon
Please get 2 digital probe thermometers -- place one on the surface of the slate basking spot- I am thinking it may be too hot he looks like hes sitting off to the side of the light- slate gets very hot -- you want surface basking temps 105-110 for a baby up till 6 months of age--- next the UVB needs to be unobstructed -- screens block 30% of the rays - take your screen off and or pull it forward so the UVB bulb is unobstructed -- distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece--- hes not eating because this is off - once you get everything adjusted temps UVB he should start eating again-- if not there is another issue going on--- this is all crucial for his health and behavior-- please get a digital probe hygrometer place the probe on the center back wall of the tank -- Exo Terra makes these https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?_pos=1&_sid=ac857912b&_ss=r- optimal humidity 40-50% -- this helps w/ shedding -- make sure hes hydrated by dropping water on his nose to see if he will lick-- bathing is too stressful so its better to offer water on the nose and rinse his greens / salads before serving he will get moisture from them
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info its outdated and a great staple feeder
please get him some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com use as lures to the salad bowl use as many as you want they are a great staple feeder -- he can probably eat large as they are a small larvea -- https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
If you need more help please ask-- get your tank adjustments done then watch the behavior
Forgot to mention that he is shedding . I have a probe thermometer. Temp of rick is 105 light is on a dimmer

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Forgot to mention that he is shedding . I have a probe thermometer. Temp of rick is 105 light is on a dimmer
Shedding can effect the appetite but not causing him to not eat at all - he should be eating something - make sure your uvb is placed and distanced

kmiz13

Hatchling Dragon
Shedding can effect the appetite but not causing him to not eat at all - he should be eating something - make sure your uvb is placed and distanced
How far should the UVB be from him and it has to be under mesh??

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How far should the UVB be from him and it has to be under mesh??
The screen on the tank is a fine mesh or wide hole type- from what I can see it looks to be a wider hole not like a screen door mesh type -- if you can post a pic of the screen I can tell you better

kmiz13

Hatchling Dragon
The screen on the tank is a fine mesh or wide hole type- from what I can see it looks to be a wider hole not like a screen door mesh type -- if you can post a pic of the screen I can tell you better
Ok

kmiz13

Hatchling Dragon
Ok it the new age exoflex 120 g from chewy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231120_122340_Chewy.jpg
    Screenshot_20231120_122340_Chewy.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's not like a window screen it's wider
Ok so uvb can stay on top please put a piece of basking decor directly under it 8-10 inches - watch his behavior- is he eating now? They will go thru relocation stress which will effect appetite but he should be eating something- shed may or may not effect appetite but it does make them crabby-- the changing of the bulb every 10-11 months and distance is good for uvb rays-

kmiz13

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so uvb can stay on top please put a piece of basking decor directly under it 8-10 inches - watch his behavior- is he eating now? They will go thru relocation stress which will effect appetite but he should be eating something- shed may or may not effect appetite but it does make them crabby-- the changing of the bulb every 10-11 months and distance is good for uvb rays-
Ok so it's off to side a little should I place directly above his head

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so it's off to side a little should I place directly above his head
If its a little bit dont worry about it- as long as he can get under it the reflector will shine the rays downward toward him--

kmiz13

Hatchling Dragon
He's eating again but his skin is all over vivarium. Do you know when i can tellgender he's about 8 inches long

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He's eating again but his skin is all over vivarium. Do you know when i can tellgender he's about 8 inches long
How old? Usually around 6 months of age we can get a pretty good idea of male / female

Latest posts