• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Beardie Won't Eat Veggies

meesh18

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello All!

I have a 2 month old female bearded dragon that will not eat her veggies/fruit. I've tried offering it first thing in the morning, putting a variety in her food dish (lots of different smells and colors) as well as even adding worms. Nothing! She eats her insects like a champ but not her veggies. I've never had this problem before when my Jo-Jo was a baby. Any ideas? Thank you.

sircactuscat

Juvenile Dragon
Hi, most beardies can be fussy little buggers when it comes to salad. However usually it's a fad that can be corrected with time, maybe have a day where only salad is on offer and hold on the insects but to be honest young beardies prefer a day full of the inverts than salad. Maybe hand feeding him may help you find out what he/she wants. But don't worry too much as they'll take to salad in time! :) hope I helped!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
WelcometoBDF3.jpg

This is quite common, some BDs will not take to their veggies very well or at all for many months & this is okay. Just be sure that your BD is well hydrated with regular mistings & warm soaks, as that is basically the purpose of the greens, to provide hydration. Your live prey must be well gutloaded & hydrated also, at all times, so this will also help with giving hydration. If you have just acquired your BD, it could also be going through an acclimation period that can last as much as a week to 10 days or more.

But a small amount of veggies should always be made available to it, whether it eats them or not, so they are there when it gets the inkling to test them out.

Posting Pics of your setup, showing your lighting orientation in relation to the rest of the enclosure, along with as much info about you husbandry as possible, such as, how long you have had it in your care, size of enclosure, substrate, temps (Basking & cool side), types of thermometer being used to measure the temps & exactly where the temps are being measured, Diet, type - brand & strength of UVB, etc, etc. As much accurate info as you can provide will help Members in pinpoint current or potential issues that may be contributing to this behavior & give more accurate, helpful responses.

Good Luck.

Latest posts