• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby beardie, possible MBD

JHawk

Bearded Dragon Egg
I ended up bringing home a baby bearded dragon and she isn't in the healthiest state, I already consulted a vet and they told me as long as she is eating and defecating that's all we can ask for. I'd like to ask for the opinion of others who may be more knowledgeable than me or have dealt with something similar. She was given to me the moment something appeared off, she would have episodes of odd behavior, it was when her cage was getting cleaned that I first saw her suffer from a seizure, she would have at least one daily but usually, it would happen multiple times on the same day, her body also occasionally froze completely, she even fell off her log sometimes and it took over a minute for her to move around again. I already had three adult bearded dragons so it was painfully obvious that her whole body seemed off, most likely affected by metabolic bone disease, her front legs are curved and her entire back end looks crooked, her back legs don't move and they seem to only get in her way. She has a healthy appetite and good coloring, she's alert and drags herself around all over her cage and has not suffered a seizure since I brought her home but she has tipped herself over giving me a good scare a few times, her back legs usually getting stuck under her. I'm not too sure what to do, from what I can tell she has no feeling from her back legs down. Do I leave her be and see if she can adapt or is there something else I should do to make her life easier? I already had a beardie that needed more help than usual so it's not a problem that she needs a bit extra attention, I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I ended up bringing home a baby bearded dragon and she isn't in the healthiest state, I already consulted a vet and they told me as long as she is eating and defecating that's all we can ask for. I'd like to ask for the opinion of others who may be more knowledgeable than me or have dealt with something similar. She was given to me the moment something appeared off, she would have episodes of odd behavior, it was when her cage was getting cleaned that I first saw her suffer from a seizure, she would have at least one daily but usually, it would happen multiple times on the same day, her body also occasionally froze completely, she even fell off her log sometimes and it took over a minute for her to move around again. I already had three adult bearded dragons so it was painfully obvious that her whole body seemed off, most likely affected by metabolic bone disease, her front legs are curved and her entire back end looks crooked, her back legs don't move and they seem to only get in her way. She has a healthy appetite and good coloring, she's alert and drags herself around all over her cage and has not suffered a seizure since I brought her home but she has tipped herself over giving me a good scare a few times, her back legs usually getting stuck under her. I'm not too sure what to do, from what I can tell she has no feeling from her back legs down. Do I leave her be and see if she can adapt or is there something else I should do to make her life easier? I already had a beardie that needed more help than usual so it's not a problem that she needs a bit extra attention, I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time
Surface basking temps 105-110 taken w a digital probe thermometer- for a 6 month and younger--uvb No Coils!! This is imperative - please lower the basking decor so she is not climbing on anything- we need to start there - diet staple insect dusted w/ calcium D 3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding-- if you need links for good uvb's let me know--

JHawk

Bearded Dragon Egg
Surface basking temps 105-110 taken w a digital probe thermometer- for a 6 month and younger--uvb No Coils!! This is imperative - please lower the basking decor so she is not climbing on anything- we need to start there - diet staple insect dusted w/ calcium D 3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding-- if you need links for good uvb's let me know--
Thank you for such a quick reply, I'll get started on that right away.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for such a quick reply, I'll get started on that right away.
Not all long tube fixtures for UVB's are the same --- there are 3 really good ones I can point you in that direction

JHawk

Bearded Dragon Egg
Not all long tube fixtures for UVB's are the same --- there are 3 really good ones I can point you in that direction
I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction for UVB. Thank you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction for UVB. Thank you
I will post 3 good ones you choose the one that's right for you
All fixtures are 24" for 40 + gallon tanks
Zoo med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you want the reptisun 10.0 T 5
https://www.pangeareptile.com/products/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-hood
https://www.pangeareptile.com/products/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5
This one can be found at PetSmart you want the 24 watt 12% bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/products/arcadia-prot5-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood
Or this one you want the 2ft or 24" you will need to change the bulb out to the reptisun bulb I posted above
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
When you get the uvb please post on here I will help you place the fixture your screen will determine where it goes

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will post 3 good ones you choose the one that's right for you
All fixtures are 24" for 40 + gallon tanks
Zoo med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you want the reptisun 10.0 T 5
https://www.pangeareptile.com/products/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-hood
https://www.pangeareptile.com/products/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5
This one can be found at PetSmart you want the 24 watt 12% bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/products/arcadia-prot5-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood
Or this one you want the 2ft or 24" you will need to change the bulb out to the reptisun bulb I posted above
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
When you get the uvb please post on here I will help you place the fixture your screen will determine where it goes
Did you get the uvb replaced?

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

I am wondering how your little one was doing, are you using a better UVB light now?
How is his appetite doing?
Please let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

JHawk

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

I am wondering how your little one was doing, are you using a better UVB light now?
How is his appetite doing?
Please let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
It took a bit to get the necessary lights but she is doing a lot better, her appetite is strong and she has gotten far more alert. The only thing is that the divide between her paralyzed back legs and the rest of her has become more pronounced but it doesn't seem to stop her from moving around, from what I can tell she has no feeling in her back legs or tail. Overall I want to thank you for your help, I've had beardies for a long time but I was at a loss for how to deal with her situation. Thank you again

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Where is the uvb placed? Inside the tank or top of screen?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Top of screen currently
If the screen is a fine mesh it needs to be in the tank unobstructed - I would get it approx 13 inches directly above the basking decor

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That is great news your girl is doing much better. Is the UVB all mounted correctly now? We are
all hoping for a full recovery for her.

Tracie

JHawk

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got the light mounted properly now. She seems to still be doing fine, appetite still present, and moving around much more. She is still as feisty as ever so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she continues to keep going strong.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got the light mounted properly now. She seems to still be doing fine, appetite still present, and moving around much more. She is still as feisty as ever so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she continues to keep going strong.
Update on dragon please

JHawk

Bearded Dragon Egg
Update on dragon please
She is still going strong but she hasn't been able to defecate properly, only the white urate is being released. I've been giving her warm baths, making sure she is staying hydrated, and keeping an eye on the tank temp and humidity but she hasn't pooped in a while, and with the amount she is eating she should be doing so regularly. I'm worried she just doesn't have the strength to push it out

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She is still going strong but she hasn't been able to defecate properly, only the white urate is being released. I've been giving her warm baths, making sure she is staying hydrated, and keeping an eye on the tank temp and humidity but she hasn't pooped in a while, and with the amount she is eating she should be doing so regularly. I'm worried she just doesn't have the strength to push it out
Feed her some plain canned pumpkin or baby food - make sure she's hydrated so it pushes things along-

JHawk

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

Just checking on your dragon & how she is doing lately?

Tracie
She is staying stable, no highs or lows for her just yet. Keeping up on proper feeding and hydration, she's a little lizard with a lot of fight in her but I haven't seen any proper defecation yet so I'm still feeling nervous.

Latest posts