• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby beardie bonding

raemlpz

Bearded Dragon Egg
I really want to start bonding with my 5 week old beardie I got around 2 weeks ago. Every time I go to pick him/her up he/she looks as if he/she's scared of me. I want to bond with him/her more to make him/her like me. What should I do?

raemlpz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Two more things, is it okay if they close one eye and the other open a lot? My beardie does that a lot. Also if I'm petting them or bathing them and they close their eyes, does that mean they're scared and uncomfortable or they like the feeling?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Patience is everything. I had a tough time with my boy Luci too. These are things that worked for us:

I would pet him in his tank at bedtime when he started to get sleepy eyes. I would also pick him up at this time and hold him for a few minutes. When they are sleepy, they let their guard down and gives a chance to bond.

When he would open his mouth to bite me or hiss at me, I didn't flinch. I wanted to show him I wasn't afraid of him and eventually he learned I wasn't going to hurt him.

Other things are, putting a piece of your clothing in his tank so he gets used to your smell. When he opens his mouth to bite you put a piece of green in his mouth so he associates you with food.

Luci sometimes will still back away from me when I go to pick him up but then quickly relaxes when he realizes he's getting out of his tank and going somewhere fun.

So many times I wanted to give up but I didn't and now he is the sweetest little boy :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
In my experience, if they are closing their eyes, that means they are comfortable with you. Opening one eye and closing the other is a quirk, they all do it.

raemlpz

Bearded Dragon Egg
In my experience, if they are closing their eyes, that means they are comfortable with you. Opening one eye and closing the other is a quirk, they all do it.

Thanks Patsy, that's great to know!

Latest posts