• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby bearded dragon help

Amanda228

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone! I just recently (this weekend) got a 2.5 month old Bearded Dragon (Falcor). I have his tank set up properly with the correct temps, uvb/uva bulb, etc. I am having an incredibly difficult time getting him to eat. He won't touch any vegetable, but that's not my main concern. He is absolutely terrified of crickets. I got some super tiny ones, smaller than the space between his eyes. I put ONE in his tank and he totally flipped out! He was trying to climb the glass to get out of the tank away from it. I have gotten him to eat a couple of wax worms, but not many, only like 5 total. I know those are high in fat so I don't want to exclusivity feed those. And he isn't eating those that well. I even bought some commercial food to see if he would eat that, but no go. He did poop today and it was normal. I want to order some dubia roaches, but I'm afraid he is going to be scared of those as well. I don't want to get a ton of roaches and be stuck with them if he won't eat them. I'm just looking for any suggestions anyone might have.

Sorry for the long post. This is my first Bearded Dragon. I have dogs, cats and have owned snakes, but never a lizard. I did all the research before getting him, but this is a real issue I'm having.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20170319_223131.jpg
    20170319_223131.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Try tong feeding the insects to him. It's easy to spook the wee babies, and tong feeding takes away from the rapid movement of the insects. I tong feed, which makes it easy to keep track of what they eat and prevents leaving free roaming feeders behind in the tank.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also don't forget it is likely going thru what we call a relocation stress it can take them a week sometimes more in cases.. try feeding in another container/tub, use tongs..just be patient...and keep trying maybe put the feeders in a clear bowl, have you tried dubia roach nymphs? they are much smaller and less intimidating maybe..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Try putting the crickets in a glass bowl. They can't climb the glass and since they are tiny they won't be able to jump out either.

Ron G

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Try Phoenix worms. They are really small and don't move around that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amanda228

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you. I tried tong feeding and he still freaks out. Got some roaches and he was scared of those too. Poor little guy. He is still eating like 1-2 wax worms a day. He has been pooping regularly. I'm just going to give him more time to adjust. I will also get some Phoenix worms. I don't want to only feed him the wax worms since they are supposed to be more of a treat. Hopefully once he us adjusted or once he gets a little bigger he won't be so scared.

Amanda228

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you everyone! I just gave him some time to adjust and let him eat his 1 wax worm a day. This morning I decided to offer him another dubia roach just to try it again. HE GOBBLED IT UP! He ended up eating 7 of them!! You have no clue how excited this makes me. I know 7 isn't a ton, but from eating one worm every day or every other day, to 7 roaches is huge for him. So thank you all for your advice!

Latest posts