• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are stink bugs dangerous for beardies?

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey all! I know I haven't been here for a while, but that's a good thing because Loki's been doing great and I haven't had any health concerns. :p Now I have a question just out of curiosity: Are stink bugs dangerous for them? I've been getting conflicted information while googling it. I've found a whole bunch of people who say that their beardies gobble them up with no problems, but I've also seen one or two posts that lists them as mildly toxic. I know it's never a good thing to take a gamble with this, but Loki's a trooper and it'd be fantastic if he could help me out with the stink bug infestation in my boyfriend's house. It's disgusting, there are like 50 of them at any given time in the house and Loki goes bananas when he sees them through the glass tank. So if stink bugs aren't going to kill him, it's a win/win situation and it'd give him a chance to do some real life hunting. :p

(I know that pesticides are always an issue with this sort of thing, but my boyfriend and his neighbors gave up on that after a few years of failed attempts and don't use any of that).

Thanks in advance!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well, here's my 2 cents. Wild bugs are never a good thing to feed your dragon. You have no idea where they have been, what they have come into contact with, or what they have eaten.

As far as stink bugs, I really don't know if dragons can eat them or not. I do know that their hard outer shell protects them from ALL pesticides unless you soap them down. So, that's a tough shell. I'd be worried about impaction. It may be difficult to digest.

And for the stink bugs. I feel your pain. They are ridiculous. They've calmed down since the weather has cooled, but I am warned they are only hibernating until the warm weather comes and then, bam! At least twice as bad next spring. Aughhh!!!!

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hmm... I do see your concerns there with the impaction. Loki's never had a problem digesting anything though, and sometimes he eats up to 20 supers a day. x___x As for the concerns of what the stinkbugs get into / eat, I know EXACTLY what they eat: my boyfriend's mother's vegetable garden. The jerks rip through it like crazy and leave nothing but hole-filled leaves and vegetables. As everything there is healthy for Loki (and quite tasty, too), I would imagine that this counts as the most natural gutloading you can get. XD

Perhaps I'll let him take a bite at one or two and see how it goes, and then watch his poop and behavior for a few days before letting him have at them. XD

Oh, almost forgot: latest picture of Loki! He's getting pretty big, haha

big.png

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow he is going to be HUGE, but I have been saying that since you got him

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know what you mean about the vegetable garden. Ours was eaten up and shriveled away by the stinkers. I'm going to try planting marigolds and mint next year.

Just be careful. I tend to stay on the side of caution.

hanfon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
WOW what a gorgeous dragon ! -- and I know nothing about stinkbugs as food sry 8)

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm pretty sure stink bugs stink due to formic acid that they spay as a defense mechanism, not the nicest thing to be ingesting ;)

Latest posts