• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Appetite and Weight Loss but Still Active

sarcam20

Bearded Dragon Egg
In the last month, my beardie has stopped eating almost completely. They have stopped eating greens and fruits and veggies of any kind. They will occasionally eat one or two. They even turned down crickets a twice. I got them to eat hornworms and some crickets later though. I was hoping they were just being picky. That’s not unusual for them. However, I just returned from a 4 day trip(during which a pet sitter watched them) and seeing her after being away made me realize they have lost weight, so I am now freaking out. I am going to call the vet and make an appointment, but I am so worried. My vet is four hours away and doesn’t open until Monday, so if anybody has a situations PLEASE tell me. She is my everything.

My bearded dragon(F) is around 4 years old. I got them when they were around 2. She has already brumated this year. Additionally, she had to have her ovaries removed over a year ago due to a problem laying.

This is the first time I’ve seen her lose weight like this. She is still pretty active, mostly when she has floor time. She is running around as I type this. I have tried to adjust the lighting and temp in the tank but am having difficulty getting it exactly right. I have two 100 watt lightbulbs. One is over the basking spot, but it still doesn’t get above 90 on his basking rock. For some reason I can’t get the temp to be consistent, but it ranges from 90-100 in that are. It is around 80 on the cooler side. I also replaced my UVB strip light bulb. Any advice on getting the temp right in my tank would also be great.

Thank you
(I posted this earlier but forgot some stuff and couldn’t figure out how to delete the original post.)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In the last month, my beardie has stopped eating almost completely. They have stopped eating greens and fruits and veggies of any kind. They will occasionally eat one or two. They even turned down crickets a twice. I got them to eat hornworms and some crickets later though. I was hoping they were just being picky. That’s not unusual for them. However, I just returned from a 4 day trip(during which a pet sitter watched them) and seeing her after being away made me realize they have lost weight, so I am now freaking out. I am going to call the vet and make an appointment, but I am so worried. My vet is four hours away and doesn’t open until Monday, so if anybody has a situations PLEASE tell me. She is my everything.

My bearded dragon(F) is around 4 years old. I got them when they were around 2. She has already brumated this year. Additionally, she had to have her ovaries removed over a year ago due to a problem laying.

This is the first time I’ve seen her lose weight like this. She is still pretty active, mostly when she has floor time. She is running around as I type this. I have tried to adjust the lighting and temp in the tank but am having difficulty getting it exactly right. I have two 100 watt lightbulbs. One is over the basking spot, but it still doesn’t get above 90 on his basking rock. For some reason I can’t get the temp to be consistent, but it ranges from 90-100 in that are. It is around 80 on the cooler side. I also replaced my UVB strip light bulb. Any advice on getting the temp right in my tank would also be great.

Thank you
(I posted this earlier but forgot some stuff and couldn’t figure out how to delete the original post.)
Please post a pic of the tank and your UVB- also how are you getting the surface basking temps? NO analogs you want / need a digital probe thermometer-- what does the poop look like ? Runny stink so bad it makes you leave the room? Parasites can cause them not to eat-- but we need to rule other things out first - w/ her losing weight there is a issue going on -- when did she brumate and for how long? Has she ever had parasites? The vet your seeing is a good one? I am posting a website for you to look for a closer vet this would be a reptile vet - if your in a small area please type in the zip code of a city closest to you www.arav.org

sarcam20

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please post a pic of the tank and your UVB- also how are you getting the surface basking temps? NO analogs you want / need a digital probe thermometer-- what does the poop look like ? Runny stink so bad it makes you leave the room? Parasites can cause them not to eat-- but we need to rule other things out first - w/ her losing weight there is a issue going on -- when did she brumate and for how long? Has she ever had parasites? The vet you’re seeing is a good one? I am posting a website for you to look for a closer vet this would be a reptile vet - if your in a small area please type in the zip code of a city closest to you www.arav.org
She has never had parasites. The poop is pretty runny. She brumates from June to August. The vet I am seeing is a good vet. They specialize in exotics. I’m going to call when they open on Monday. There is a closer vet, right down the street actually, but I do not trust them at all. I have had bad experiences with them regarding my beardie and other animals.
Please post a pic of the tank and your UVB- also how are you getting the surface basking temps? NO analogs you want / need a digital probe thermometer-- what does the poop look like ? Runny stink so bad it makes you leave the room? Parasites can cause them not to eat-- but we need to rule other things out first - w/ her losing weight there is a issue going on -- when did she brumate and for how long? Has she ever had parasites? The vet you’re seeing is a good one? I am posting a website for you to look for a closer vet this would be a reptile vet - if your in a small area please type in the zip code of a city closest to you www.arav.org
IMG_0903.jpeg
Thank you for replying!
She has never had parasites. The poop can be runny but doesn’t smell terrible. She brumates from June to August. The vet I am seeing is a good vet. They specialize in exotics. I’m going to call when they open on Monday. There is a closer vet, right down the street actually, but I do not trust them at all. I have had bad experiences with them regarding my beardie and other animals.

I just went to the store and bought all new bulbs.
These are the results:

Basking side

Bulb: 150 watt

Basking spot: 95.5+(measured with digital probe)

Gen temp: 92

Cool Side

Bulb: 100 watt

Temp: 79

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She has never had parasites. The poop is pretty runny. She brumates from June to August. The vet I am seeing is a good vet. They specialize in exotics. I’m going to call when they open on Monday. There is a closer vet, right down the street actually, but I do not trust them at all. I have had bad experiences with them regarding my beardie and other animals.

View attachment 34871Thank you for replying!
She has never had parasites. The poop can be runny but doesn’t smell terrible. She brumates from June to August. The vet I am seeing is a good vet. They specialize in exotics. I’m going to call when they open on Monday. There is a closer vet, right down the street actually, but I do not trust them at all. I have had bad experiences with them regarding my beardie and other animals.

I just went to the store and bought all new bulbs.
These are the results:

Basking side

Bulb: 150 watt

Basking spot: 95.5+(measured with digital probe)

Gen temp: 92

Cool Side

Bulb: 100 watt

Temp: 79
What is the bulb for the UVB? Is it a 12% or a 14% bulb or a T5 24 watt ? Does the dragon sit on the shelf directly under the UVB? Screens block 30% of UVB rays and if the bulb is a 12 or 24 watt T 5 it needs to be in the tank -- What are the bulbs in the domes hanging in the tank?

sarcam20

Bearded Dragon Egg
What is the bulb for the UVB? Is it a 12% or a 14% bulb or a T5 24 watt ? Does the dragon sit on the shelf directly under the UVB? Screens block 30% of UVB rays and if the bulb is a 12 or 24 watt T 5 it needs to be in the tank -- What are the bulbs in the domes hanging in the tank?
It is a T5 39W 10.0 UVB. The dragon likes to sit on that rock under it. Should I move it inside the tank. The domes inside hold heat emitters because it gets cold at night. I can’t remember what watt they are. She just pooped and it was normal.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is a T5 39W 10.0 UVB. The dragon likes to sit on that rock under it. Should I move it inside the tank. The domes inside hold heat emitters because it gets cold at night. I can’t remember what watt they are. She just pooped and it was normal.
The heat emitters are keeping temps at night to what degree? You dont want temps at night over 75 and under 65- I would move the UVB inside the tank and get a piece of decor directly under it 12-15 inches -- Please NO enemas at the vet---------- they are a hazard to the dragon - too much risk for problems- please take a fecal in w/ you if they are asking for one --- but NO enemas!! Her not eating much could have something to do w/ the UVB not being on par they will quit eating if temps and UVB are off --- but it could be the weather and since she already brumated this year I would say it isnt that - so I recommend getting the UVB in the tank and then watch her behavior see what she does - your tank looks like a Zen that screen has bars running vertical I would utilize those bars -- I have mine in the tank and use those bars

sarcam20

Bearded Dragon Egg
The heat emitters are keeping temps at night to what degree? You dont want temps at night over 75 and under 65- I would move the UVB inside the tank and get a piece of decor directly under it 12-15 inches -- Please NO enemas at the vet---------- they are a hazard to the dragon - too much risk for problems- please take a fecal in w/ you if they are asking for one --- but NO enemas!! Her not eating much could have something to do w/ the UVB not being on par they will quit eating if temps and UVB are off --- but it could be the weather and since she already brumated this year I would say it isnt that - so I recommend getting the UVB in the tank and then watch her behavior see what she does - your tank looks like a Zen that screen has bars running vertical I would utilize those bars -- I have mine in the tank and use those bars
The temps at night don’t get over 75. I will put the UVB in the tank. It’s just odd because my tank has been pretty much the same for two years and she has never done this before.

sarcam20

Bearded Dragon Egg
The temps at night don’t get over 75. I will put the UVB in the tank. It’s just odd because my tank has been pretty much the same for two years and she has never done this before.
What bulbs and lamps do you use to keep your tank at the right temp?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What bulbs and lamps do you use to keep your tank at the right temp?
I use flukers basking- one 150 for winter and a 60 watt two separate domes hot side - summer 150 goes to a 100 watt---;one 75 watt in the middle of the tank sits on screen behind the uvb which is in the tank-- temps in the middle run 90's - hot side ambient 100 and different gradient around that side on his basking decor

sarcam20

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use flukers basking- one 150 for winter and a 60 watt two separate domes hot side - summer 150 goes to a 100 watt---;one 75 watt in the middle of the tank sits on screen behind the uvb which is in the tank-- temps in the middle run 90's - hot side ambient 100 and different gradient around that side on his basking decor
That’s really helpful! Would you be able to send a pic of your setup?

sarcam20

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you!
I’m just so worried it’s something awful like cancer. But she is still very active and is eating bugs. Everything I read about cancer in dragons says lethargy.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you!
I’m just so worried it’s something awful like cancer. But she is still very active and is eating bugs. Everything I read about cancer in dragons says lethargy.
I have read a lot of dragons are getting cancer now --- please watch her behavior after moving the UVB into the tank

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That is a beautiful tank setup there. What brand of T5 tube bulb are you using, the Arcadia or the
Reptisun?
How much weight has she lost, overall?
The thermometer you are using, is it a digital probe? I didn't see a probe to measure the temperatures
anywhere, maybe I missed it?
Just as a side note, I feel that cancer is on the rise due to the genetically modified commercial feeds for
both the insects & your dragon. The corn & soy primarily are genetically modified & that is known to cause
a myriad of health problems.
Are you still planning on getting her to the vets on Monday?

Tracie

Latest posts