• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Am I doing it right?

Freya

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone,

I have 3 bearded dragons all 4 years old (from the same clutch of eggs) 1 male (Storm) 2 female (stumpy and bambi). I have had Stumpy since she was 2 months old she is missing her whole tail (about 1cm left) and several missing toes due to her poor care when born (disappointingly a local pet shop who had no idea how to care for them) she has always been small compared to the other two. A friend had brought Bambi and Storm (also has half his tail missing and a few toes) the same week and about 1 year ago I took them off him due to poor care. They all shed every 3 months (don't know how often it is supposed to be?) and eat very well, faeces is healthy and has been checked.
Up until recently they have lived together but Stumpy became very aggressive only towards Bambi so I have separated Stumpy who seems much happier on her own and Bambi and Storm are always very happy together and never display any aggression towards each other. Due to finances their housing situation is not currently 'ideal'. They have 12 hour in the main vivarium (80 gallon) and 12 Hours in a 'sleeping' Vivarium (40 Gallon) until I have a suitable vivarium for Bambi and Storm to live in they are being rotated. Since being separated all of the beardies are much more lively and happier all round. However I was concerned about their weight I have recently been checking their weight more and feeding a more varied diet and they are beginning to put on weight but due to the missing tails I'm not sure what their ideal weight and length should be. Currently they are (tip to base of tail);

Stumpy: 244g 23cm (female)
Storm: 312g 23cm (male)
Bambi: 298g 22cm (33cm with tail - female)

Their vivarium has been recently checked by our reptile vet and she is happy with the set up;
  • large water bowl (water changed twice daily)
  • UVA & UVB Compact bulb - soon changing to tube
  • Basking spot
  • Logs and Climbing branches secured
  • Cool area - shaded den area
  • 2 thermometers (warm & cools sides)
  • hydrometer
  • varied diet (both live food and various plants, veg, flowers)
  • Felt/Carpet instead of loose substrate
  • cleaned as often as needed and totally emptied and disinfected with reptile disinfected regularly

Any advise or opinions would be much appreciated :)

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If those are the sticky thermometers just throw them away and get a digital thermostat (with the laser is what I use, sooooooooo much more accurate)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Ideally they should all be living in their own tank so nobody shows aggression towards anyone. With that said, why do you take the 2 out of an 80 gallon to sleep? They should be able to just sleep in the same tank.

I would have to say that for 4 years old Bambi seems to be on the small size weight wise. My 2 1/2 year old is in the 470g range. I'm trying to figure out what a tail may weigh, the other two are probably a bit underweight too.

drzebra

Juvenile Dragon
Ideal weight varies from dragon to dragon. Some are heavy, some are thin.

I have one that's about 2 1/2 years old and weighs in at 500 grams. My 4 year old only weighs 370 now.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
This post got me to weigh mine today. Dexter at 2 1/2 is 18.5 inches and 500 Luci at 1 1/2 is 17.5 inches and 488.

Freya

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for your replies I have changed their food an they are having a much more varied diet - strangely storms tail have grown for the first time only by 1cm but I guess this is a good sign?

Patsy B - they are currently rotated as I only have 1 viv set up with lights etc and stumpy is the only one that showed any aggression so I kept the other two together as they seem to become inactive and stressed when they are separated. I am sorting a second viv for Bambi and Storm so they don't have to be moved.

I'll post some photos shortly

BeardedDragon's°For°Life

Hatchling Dragon
If those are the sticky thermometers just throw them away and get a digital thermostat (with the laser is what I use, sooooooooo much more accurate)
Ummmm.....I got one of the sticky ones at petsmart. And later I got one of the digital ones that was like ^^Extremely Expensive^^ And the Temps were exactly the same. So it's really just the type or brand you get not every single sticky one. :/

Freya

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here's some photos

Attachments

• Bambi.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 21
  • Storm.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 16

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Analog thermometers are inaccurate because they are measuring the temp at the glass. You want to be able to measure the temperature right at the basking area under the light. That's why we recommend the digital probe thermometers or temp guns, because you can attach them right where you need to know the temps.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They look like they might have some stuck shed between their toes. I would give them some good long soaks and gently scrub with a toothbrush to help it come of. You can also rub mineral oil or coconut oil on their toes to help it come off too.

Freya

Bearded Dragon Egg
They kindly stood in poop before the photos - all cleaned up now they really enjoy their baths :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They kindly stood in poop before the photos - all cleaned up now they really enjoy their baths :)

Of course they did! LOL! My boy LOVES to do that, it's like my punishment for sleeping in late :p

Latest posts