• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice on new Beardie tank..

DragonLady504

Hatchling Dragon
So, here is my tank and an upclose pic of my new baby. I am a new beardie parent and I want to make sure I am doing everything right.. Please leave suggestions and/or comments.
Thanks in advance.

20150121_202222.jpeg

20150121_202205.jpeg
20150121_202201.jpeg

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Looks really good! What kind of substrate are you using? What are your temps like?
I like the desert setup. Very nice!

DragonLady504

Hatchling Dragon
The substrate is reptile carpet, nothing too fancy! :)
The temperture under the basking lighting seems to stay around 90-95 degrees right now according to the cheap thermostat that came with the kit. I've read digital is better, so I'll be getting a couple of those soon.
Also, where you see him in the picture is a "new" spot for him? Is he okay being this close?

DragonLady504

Hatchling Dragon
Okay, great! Now question about lighting: a reddish type bulb came with our setup, should we use this at night? We have been but he's been sleeping on the ground in the corner of the tank, standing up?!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like maybe the red light is making it too warm in there for him? Try one night without it and see how he does.

DragonLady504

Hatchling Dragon
okay, gotcha! Thanks for all the help! I'm so nervous to not do something right!
I am new to this, just like he is new to us, but I think we're adjusting quite well.. He already let's me pick him without an issue, my son & husband on the other hand, have issues! He has an instinct on who will actually be taking care of him.. haha

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hahaha! Glad we're able to help you! You'll start to recognize patterns in his behavior and daily routine and that will help you be more in tune when something actually is wrong (hopefully never)

DragonLady504

Hatchling Dragon
Josh, do you think he'll become better at feeding as well.. I know they say some juvie's will eat tons of crickets. Mine ate approx.8-10 last night and only 2-3 this morning. I do leave the greens out for him. I'm trying a morning/evening routine due to I work full time. Should I feed at a certain time after and before lights are on/off?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
All good questions!
It's a good idea to give him some time to bask before and after eating. Try giving him 60 minutes with the lights on before AND after feeding.
If you're offering lots of food and he only eats 2-3, I'd say he's just not hungry at the moment.

DragonLady504

Hatchling Dragon
Morning Josh, so last night my nerves got the best of me and I was scared to leave the light off.. He ended up sleeping on the opposite end of the tank, in the corner on the floor. But according the the temperture it was between 65-75 degrees.. Is this okay?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Red lights aren't the best for night time heating. Bearded dragons can see spectrums of light that we can't see. Even with their eyes close they can sense the light with their "third eye" that is right on top of their head. It might stress them out. Generally they are okay if the temp gets to 65 degrees, anything lower than that you need to have a heat light. A CHE, while a bit expensive is good to heat the tank at night without giving off light.

DragonLady504

Hatchling Dragon
I will try it without the light tonight.. I was just nervous NOT using it, but I agree that this is bother hiim apparently because he wants as far from this thing as possible!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What do you think the overnight low is in your house?
I agree about him being as far away as possible. It's probably too warm and/or too bright. Try a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE)

DragonLady504

Hatchling Dragon
Now that I am thinking about it it's normally between 65-70, depending on the weather! It's been crazy here in Louisiana, but when it's chilly I have my heater on so that I'm sure might help a little.
I will check into the CHE, it couldn't hurt!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think he'll be fine. Just make sure you have something that is measuring your temps correctly. our house is usually around 72 but a few weeks ago we had a freezing spell and Luci's tank would get down to 67 and he was fine. Dexter's tank at night was right at 65 degrees. She's so calm that we actually just wrapped her in a blanket and let her sleep in the living room in a cat bed and woke up at 6am to put her back in so she can be under her lights.

Latest posts