• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A little help please

Tapiadiana

Bearded Dragon Egg
A few weeks ago me and my husband walked in to PetSmart to purchase items for our RES turtle new setup. Now we came across the cutest lizard. Who was waving at us and basically begging me to purchase him/her. As much as I tried to shrug it off. The little one stole my heart. Needless to say after 2 hours and a whole set up later I walked out with what I was told was a bearded dragon. Now I am new to this little one. But, I have spent DAYS researching my baby to make sure to get everything right just as my RES and goldfish. Now, last night after running into a forum found out that theirs bearded dragons and Rankin dragons. After so much research I'm starting to believe that I'm one of those rare cases that was sold a Rankin. He is so tiny and notice bearded dragons are bigger as juveniles. Also he doesn't seem to have a beard. Not sure of his just so small yet. It won't make a difference what he truly is but I'd like to be sure. Help!

Attachments

• IMG_20170511_100833.jpg
    IMG_20170511_100833.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 44

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
welcome. rankins are beardies - just smaller versions. his small size may be due to husbandry - food, lights, etc. he may just be on the smaller size. he actually does have a beard - he may just not puff it out (the pouch in the neck area) PLEASE read through the posts below to get a much better idea of what your kid will do best with. The information provided at the pet stores is not always super reliable. A couple of our members put together these info / care sheets - GOOD STUFF!! Please ask when you have questions - there is a lot to learn. What's your kids name?

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
You've got an adorable bearded dragon, you won't see his beard unless he shows it, and that will only happen if he is scared or angry. If you have any further questions feel free to post, there are a few of us who are always around. Good luck! He sure is cute, mine are all grown up now☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Tapiadiana

Bearded Dragon Egg
welcome. rankins are beardies - just smaller versions. his small size may be due to husbandry - food, lights, etc. he may just be on the smaller size. he actually does have a beard - he may just not puff it out (the pouch in the neck area) PLEASE read through the posts below to get a much better idea of what your kid will do best with. The information provided at the pet stores is not always super reliable. A couple of our members put together these info / care sheets - GOOD STUFF!! Please ask when you have questions - there is a lot to learn. What's your kids name?

Tapiadiana

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi his name is Birdy lol just stuck. I have another conserning now. He hasn't been eating as much lately. & Noticed he pooped redish. I'm very concerned now. He just seems to be laying there. Could he possibly have parasites?

Tapiadiana

Bearded Dragon Egg
You've got an adorable bearded dragon, you won't see his beard unless he shows it, and that will only happen if he is scared or angry. If you have any further questions feel free to post, there are a few of us who are always around. Good luck! He sure is cute, mine are all grown up now☺

Thank you! I'm trying my best to make him happy and thrive but he has his moments where he is active and now his just laying there. He actually pooped redish in the actual stool. I'm not sure if he may be dehydrated or may have parasites.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Maybe you should give him some water...2 ways to try: eye dropper and drip on his head if he's thirsty he'll start drinking, so let him, or you can give him a nice warm bath in the bathroom sink (bcuz he's so small, don't use your tub) put him in your hand and GENTLY lower him and see if he drinks. Reddish poop, hmm, he could have had something at the pet store that was red, if he's just laying around he might be just adjusting to his new home, sometimes it takes them a bit to get settled. If you don't see any improvement a vet visit might be needed. I'd also wait for a few if the other beardie owners post here, Patsy and hdrydr31 are also very knowledgeable as well as Canicke. I've been very lucky that my beardies have never been too sick.
Does his poop really stink? If so that's parasites. Keep us posted, we all care here

Tapiadiana

Bearded Dragon Egg
Maybe you should give him some water...2 ways to try: eye dropper and drip on his head if he's thirsty he'll start drinking, so let him, or you can give him a nice warm bath in the bathroom sink (bcuz he's so small, don't use your tub) put him in your hand and GENTLY lower him and see if he drinks. Reddish poop, hmm, he could have had something at the pet store that was red, if he's just laying around he might be just adjusting to his new home, sometimes it takes them a bit to get settled. If you don't see any improvement a vet visit might be needed. I'd also wait for a few if the other beardie owners post here, Patsy and hdrydr31 are also very knowledgeable as well as Canicke. I've been very lucky that my beardies have never been too sick.
Does his poop really stink? If so that's parasites. Keep us posted, we all care here

Thank you for replying. Yes, I bath him 3 times a week. He rarely drinks out of the dropper I have for Birdy. I got him on 4/18 I have been trying to get him usto me since then handling him once maybe twice a day for 30min +. I did give him red bell peppers 2 days ago but he had pooped normal until now. Also what throws me off is him looking sluggish on his basking area. With 1 or both legs just laying straight back. He does raise his head when I come check on him and looks at me but once I sit down he will lay his head back down. If I don't see improvement by Saturday I will be taking him in to the vet. Also no his poop does not seem to stink.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What is your set up like and what do you measure your temps with? Red poop was probably from the red pepper. Just keep an eye on it.

Like Canicke said, take a look at the links below our comments, they give great information on how to set up a tank for him with the right lighting and temperature.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum! If you could post pictures of the set up that you got that would be helpful as unfort many petstores sell what they are told to sell and many times it's not what they need...Your little one looks like a normal baby beardie they kinda grow into having a beard..He/she is likely still adjusting to the new home it can take several weeks. The main thing is not having the right temps, the basking light, the UVB light have BIG effects on them and can be causing the behavior your seeing.

Yes take a look at the links below as we would refer back to those when needed.

Tapiadiana

Bearded Dragon Egg
What is your set up like and what do you measure your temps with? Red poop was probably from the red pepper. Just keep an eye on it.

Like Canicke said, take a look at the links below our comments, they give great information on how to set up a tank for him with the right lighting and temperature.

Hi I measure his temp with a infrared thermometer I purchased off amazon.

Tapiadiana

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum! If you could post pictures of the set up that you got that would be helpful as unfort many petstores sell what they are told to sell and many times it's not what they need...Your little one looks like a normal baby beardie they kinda grow into having a beard..He/she is likely still adjusting to the new home it can take several weeks. The main thing is not having the right temps, the basking light, the UVB light have BIG effects on them and can be causing the behavior your seeing.

Yes take a look at the links below as we would refer back to those when needed.

This is the set up I have for beardie. The uva is a 75w and uvb a 5.0. Lights came in a kit with one of the lamps. The aquarium is a 20g usually humidity stays under 50. Mostly in it's 45 and goes higher during the night. I'm looking into getting Birdy a driftwood so he can climb closer to his basking light. The temp in the basking area is 97. His cool side is 77.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
His humidity is way to high, should only be 19-24% that could definitely have something to do with his behavior. Basking for babies should be 101-107F, seems high to us humans but they come from the Australian outback,, dry air. Cool side should be 80-85F, uvb should be 10.0 desert, some of the other beardie parents will reccomend the tube type of uvb. sure if you tweak his lights you'll see a different beardie. Mine are 10 yrs and 7 yrs. Keep us posted we all care. You're gonna love having a dragon

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is the set up I have for beardie. The uva is a 75w and uvb a 5.0. Lights came in a kit with one of the lamps. The aquarium is a 20g usually humidity stays under 50. Mostly in it's 45 and goes higher during the night. I'm looking into getting Birdy a driftwood so he can climb closer to his basking light. The temp in the basking area is 97. His cool side is 77.

The bulbs that typically come in those kits are not the correct ones.. Coil bulbs have been known to cause eye damage and they really focus in a really small area. They really can't get enough UVB so I would highly suggest returning and purchasing a tube style bulb. Your going to be upgrading him/her into a bigger tank sooner than later as they grow quickly anyways.. Most of us use Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 hood/UVB system (in the links below we've given info on these)
Temps for babies need to be higher this is likely the reason he/she seems to be sluggish.
All dragons need the heat to digest food, they need proper UVB light to process D3 and other nutrients..in the links we give info on food items that should be given for greens and what the staple items are and it lets you know how often the items should be given..
Baby Dragons: Basking 100-107F warm 85-95F cool 70-75F
Juv Dragons: Basking anywhere from 95-107F Remember they need it to digest warm 85-95F cool 70F
Adults Basking 90-95F can also be low 100'sF warm 80-90F cool 70F
As long as the night time temps don't dip below 65F all is good if it does get a CHE to keep temps up.

Humidity really needs to be much lower 20-30% it does raise during nighttime hours but should improve during the day with the lighting..If you have water dish in the tank removing that will help..

Birdy is a cutie and we look forward to seeing him/her grow...
We cover all areas of care in the links below that will be of great use...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Also make sure your basking bulb is a white light and not blue or red or any other color.

Latest posts