• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

4x2x2 uvb over screen

MasterSplinter

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I have a 24” Arcadia 14% over screen and his basking area is around 9-10 inches from light with uvi reading average of 3. Is this ok or would this not be enough? I don’t want to go higher with the basking area and I know it’s a little too close to the lights as it is. I have 12 and 14% bulbs I can use but both would probably be too strong inside enclosure Unless I significantly decreased the basking distance. It’s a 4x2 dubia enclosure and bioactive so the floor is actually probably 18” from ceiling as is. I want to prevent from having to get t8 setup as I already spent a fortune on this but if that’s what it takes I will of course. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Maybe even cut some of the screen out?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 12

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I have a 24” Arcadia 14% over screen and his basking area is around 9-10 inches from light with uvi reading average of 3. Is this ok or would this not be enough? I don’t want to go higher with the basking area and I know it’s a little too close to the lights as it is. I have 12 and 14% bulbs I can use but both would probably be too strong inside enclosure Unless I significantly decreased the basking distance. It’s a 4x2 dubia enclosure and bioactive so the floor is actually probably 18” from ceiling as is. I want to prevent from having to get t8 setup as I already spent a fortune on this but if that’s what it takes I will of course. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Maybe even cut some of the screen out?
For a 14% bulb I would have the distance 17-18 inches in the tank --- for a 12% bulb the distance would need to be 12-15 inches both of them in the tank - I have used the 14 % bulb as well in my 4x2x2 tank but am currently using the 12% Reptisun bulb -- I switch back and forth between the Arcadia 12%'s and the Reptisuns---- T 8's are not strong enough for a 4x2x2 tank because the distance for them would need to be 6-8 inches directly over your basking decor piece - T8's are designed for small tanks or lower height tanks and then they the lower heights are not recommended because of heating issues --

MasterSplinter

Bearded Dragon Egg
For a 14% bulb I would have the distance 17-18 inches in the tank --- for a 12% bulb the distance would need to be 12-15 inches both of them in the tank - I have used the 14 % bulb as well in my 4x2x2 tank but am currently using the 12% Reptisun bulb -- I switch back and forth between the Arcadia 12%'s and the Reptisuns---- T 8's are not strong enough for a 4x2x2 tank because the distance for them would need to be 6-8 inches directly over your basking decor piece - T8's are designed for small tanks or lower height tanks and then they the lower heights are not recommended because of heating issues --
I’m going to mount 12% inside enclosure and see what readings I get from solar meter. If too strong at around 10-12”s I can always go down to t5 6% inside I guess. The 14% over screen just isn’t doing it. I’m just not comfortable with uvb at a high of 3

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m going to mount 12% inside enclosure and see what readings I get from solar meter. If too strong at around 10-12”s I can always go down to t5 6% inside I guess. The 14% over screen just isn’t doing it. I’m just not comfortable with uvb at a high of 3
You dont want to go to a 6% bulb its going to be not enough UVB - I dont have a solar meter so to be on the safe side I always change my bulb out at 10-11 months - I believe readings for a meter should be 4-6 I am thinking - the dragon will move away if the rays are too strong -

Latest posts