• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

35 weeks old and Gravid

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
Ok last time was a false alarm she was just acting weird and had never seen my male...but they have been spending more controlled time together as of late they enjoy eachothers company but I now know they like eachother a bit too much...Charlie had his wicked way with her this morning...How do I know? Well I kinda saw it and there was more than enough evidence, blood, lots of blood I think from Charlie however I have bathed them both and there's no visible damage and clumps of...well I don't know what it is but I assume it's from it being her first sexual encounter...Nibbler is in good health and good spirits she does not seem fazed by it at all, unlike me I almost had a nervous breakdown when I saw the blood...By my estimates if today was conception day I should expect eggs 4th June, I will not be hatching the eggs!

Will my girl be ok at such a young age? I'm panicking a LOT

Any advice will be a great help Thank You

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Allowing a BD to become gravid or even just be subjected to the mating act whether 'Accidental' or not, at less than 9 months is irresponsible & to say the least very dangerous. There is a reason why BDs should not be together. Apparently the 'Controlled' time together & if you only 'Kind' of saw it, was not very controlled or supervised at all, or you would not have had to make this post. This is a total surprise coming from you. Allowing a Male & Female to interact as subadults, what was to be expected?

Males sexually mature much earlier than females, allowing them to interact, male\female, poses this exact risk, among many other dangers. A female should be more than 18 Months old & at the very least weigh over 350 grams before they should be safely bred & be gravid. I would also be panicking, but now, only time will tell, if it even took. Blood is generally NOT a bi-product of the mating act, unless there is an injury in the process.

Feed it as much of a nutritious diet as it will eat & up it's Calcium intake, as the formation of the eggs can severely drain it's Calcium stores.

I would be having it Vet checked & regularly until this is over.

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks for your reply Germ

1) Controlled because I usually never leave them
2) I stepped away for a minute probably less my nephew was with me
3) I know I made a massive mistake...It wasn't intentional they were just looking from the window cuddled up

1) She isn't 18 months I know
2) Her weight is really good she's 387g and almost 21 inches long
3) We visited the vet shortly after I made the original post the blood was from a slight scratch Charlie gave himself from turning his foot underneath himself while attempting to mate with Nibbler

My Herp vet says all is well she is more than capable of sustaining eggs without a problem I will be going back at least 3 more times before she lays I have multiple appointments already made so I can check her progress the xray she had today was not detecting eggs however it could and probably was too soon to tell. Charlie too had xrays to check his condition he is perfectly healthy no problems apart from a scratch on his tummy close to his vent.

I will update again soon when I have more news

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you Germ I will not be incubating them my babies are brother and sister I understand 1st gen babies are safe but my Spike and Kai were of an undisclosed number generation and when they passed it broke my heart I know how bad it is to take a baby home fall in love and lose it because of whatever problem they may have so freezing them is my best option I couldn't let anybody go through that pain of losing a much loved member of their family

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
Okay little update, everything is going well she's getting really big now, she's tired a lot and doing some strange things but that's to be expected I suppose. 8 days left until the expected delivery date and we are ready to go vermiculite/sand mix prepped in huge tub, little lady making eggs, and mama trying to do her very best. All I can do now is wait...I hate waiting...:oops: oh and madam has decided it's time for a shed too:

375109_528839833846086_677408985_n.jpg

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
Hey guys, due date was yesterday, 4th, but that came and went without incident! She's showing some signs of preparing to lay but she's failed to dig at all, she's started to have mild contractions late last night and a couple this morning but they've gone again. At this stage I know I should stay calm and let nature take its course but I feel so helpless, she's exhausted and cranky. Water helps her relax so she's having a small bath daily (4 days or so now) can anybody tell me how I can make her more comfortable? My vet says next weekend is the when I can get her induced but what if she becomes egg bound?! Is that too long to wait? Should I seek a second opinion? She is loaded up with eggs, at least 18. She is still eating a small amount and she is hyper for some of the day but tonight she had a bit of a bath I wrapped her in her towel and she fell sound asleep, first time in days she's been in such a deep sleep.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will not be hatching the eggs!
Thank you Germ I will not be incubating them my babies are brother and sister I understand 1st gen babies are safe but my Spike and Kai were of an undisclosed number generation and when they passed it broke my heart I know how bad it is to take a baby home fall in love and lose it because of whatever problem they may have so freezing them is my best option I couldn't let anybody go through that pain of losing a much loved member of their family
It appears that you have chosen to incubate, hatch them out?

So glad the laying process went without issue. Great pics.

Good Luck!

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
No Germ not incubating just wasn't sure what the correct thing to do was it all happened so fast but they are in the freezer and gone soon ;)

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Pat, she's doing really well, still a bit skittish but she's settling and she's eating I can't ask for more than that. She's still shedding and it's annoying her but apart from that no complaints :D

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is completely optional but it is a good practice for those that want the best for there animal. If you have a needle syringe and liquid calcium. Inject depending on size of roach or cricket as much as you can into one feeder at each feeding for 2 weeks. Good UVB bulbs or outside time will be beneficial to help absorb calcium treatments. A good soaking after a lay is also a good thing.

Good luck.

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Gillie. I'm not sure about where to get liquid calcium. I do have a Pro-Rep Calcium dust that I've been adding to her bath, I've also been dusting her food with a Pro-Rep Multi-Vitamin (same as always) and twice a week dusting her food with just the calcium powder. She's been bathing twice a day for 15 mins in the last week of being gravid (upon advice from a vet) and our usual routine is 3 baths a week for 30 mins. Her UVB was changed just a month ago so that should be okay (10.0) I do have a few concerns though, maybe you could help me out please?

1) Her weight - She is down to around 270g from 500+ before she was gravid the first time. She's eating lots but not gaining...Any ideas what I can give her regularly to provide some much needed fat? She doesn't like pinkies, she will only eat the odd fruit beetle grub, I'm lost I don't know what to give her.

2) Reducing her stress and making her more comfortable - Her viv is bare minimum and hasn't changed, just her basking log, a big piece of slate and food bowl/s - She's black bearded and hissing at me she's also tried to bite me a few days ago which is not like her at all.

She is also very...not sure if this is too stronger word but...limp. I know she's tired I just don't know what to do for her, I feel like I'm failing her. She's mid shed too, it's proving to be a tricky one this time round so I know this is annoying her too.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Females should be getting plain phos free calcium at every feeding. She will gain weight, it just takes some time. I wouldnt worry about the pinkies, fatty worms and such. Giving her good gut loaded feeder like crickets and roaches will help her along quite nicely. A salad right now also is a good thing to help her. Using a variety of good vegetables like sweet potato, butternut squash, green leaf lettuce, mustard greens, bell pepper, carrots, etc. You can shred these up and make a salad out of them.

As long as she has a good appetite and your providing optimal care. She will rebound.

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
She's being fussy about her food at the moment, she's picking out the Kale and that's about it but she's eating it by the bucket load I've never tried her with Carrot. She loves the smell of apples but not enough to try them. Her appetite is massive right now too but then she's always been a good eater. Her poop is worrying me a little too it's jet black and a bit...squishy/swirly, she's also going the loo most days, this is unusual normally (before she got gravid) she pooped every 3 days and it was a healthy brown, fully formed poop. Is it normal for it to change so drastically? My male has exactly the same meal as her every day and his are still normal regularity/color/shape.

Latest posts