• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Post Surgery Life & Thanks for all the Tips!!!

Laurenvanderson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi All,

just wanted to join and write a message as I have read a billion articles on this website over the past 4 days and you won’t even begin to understand how all the threads have helped me!
we’ve owned our beardie Puff for nearly 6 years now and he has always acted completely normal albeit a little bit crazy!!
Last Wednesday we fed him and he was eating so quickly and not taking enough time to digest food properly so started storing it in his beard! We stopped feeding and waited for it to go down. By Friday it still hasn’t budged so we ran Puff a bath to help digestion and also sometimes he likes to drink the water! Suddenly he started choking and literally stopped breathing in my partners hands. It was horrific however somehow my partner managed to open his mouth and removed the obstruction and he started to breath again. I immediately rang our closest vets that is 30 mins drive from our house and rushed him there- he was in and out of consciousness the whole way there however when we turned up seemed to be back to his alert self!
vets took him in anyway and rung us with the news that Puff was actually a girl (we’d never had any issues so hadn’t seen a vet since we bought him and was told he was a boy!) Puff was sent to X-ray and showed she was full of unlaid eggs and would have been in a lot of pain- despite hiding it from us extremely well. After a couple of days of us force feeding, bathing and feeding tablets she was ready for surgery and went in yesterday to be spayed and remove all the eggs. Quite a big ordeal and although it is a risky procedure lots of stories on here made me hopeful she would pull through. Luckily she came through amazingly and was discharged this morning. We had thoroughly disinfected her home with reptile safe spray and covered the floor with newspaper and made a hide out of towels after reading about someone else’s post regarding post-op home improvements!! She has stayed very still most of the day as I’m sure is still very sore however has just begun to climb the walls of her vivarium which is panicking us due to the wound under her belly. I know climbing like this is a sign of stress and we have changed the basking bulb to be hotter which has calmed her a little but we can’t really change any other variants that might be stressing her.
Any tips for calming this mad dragon would be very much appreciated...

& once again thanks for all the posts containing info regarding egg binding, surgery & post op care at home- they helped us soooo much!

Latest posts