• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Swollen Eye?

LeaK

Bearded Dragon Egg
My female beardie has had a swollen area near one of her eyes for a little while now and even though the eye itself is fine and she opens it and closes it alright, it bothers me because it hasn't gone away. I don't know if she scratched it or something or if that's just how it is now? It may have gone down a little from when I originally found it but it's still there and I don't know if it's something I should be super worried about or if I can help it myself with an at home remedy of some kind of maybe an eye wash from the pet store...?

Attachments

• IMG_20240501_230744941.jpg
    IMG_20240501_230744941.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240501_230750832.jpg
    IMG_20240501_230750832.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240501_230756113.jpg
    IMG_20240501_230756113.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240501_230821644.jpg
    IMG_20240501_230821644.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok there is something on it for sure --- what kind of substrate are you using? Sand? What about UVB coil or long tube fixture? Basking bulb? Any colored off white yellowish or Daytime bulbs? These are all reasons / causes for eye issues-- sand you can rinse w/ some regular saline solution from Walmart NO contact lens stuff --- we need to find the cause of irritation-- in the meantime you can mix a little water/ some raw unfiltered honey example honey use a Q tip and put it on the eye -- NO crickets in the tank if your feeding them please

LeaK

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok there is something on it for sure --- what kind of substrate are you using? Sand? What about UVB coil or long tube fixture? Basking bulb? Any colored off white yellowish or Daytime bulbs? These are all reasons / causes for eye issues-- sand you can rinse w/ some regular saline solution from Walmart NO contact lens stuff --- we need to find the cause of irritation-- in the meantime you can mix a little water/ some raw unfiltered honey example honey use a Q tip and put it on the eye -- NO crickets in the tank if your feeding them please
She has some paper towels temporarily until I can get her some new substrate this weekend. She has a long tube fixture for UVB and her basking bulb is the same kind I've been using ever since I got her and she's been fine with it... She recently had some little pieces of shed on her face she was in the process of getting off, I'm thinking she may have scratched around her eye trying to get it off maybe? I'll try the of the water and honey mixture, how thick does it need to be? Until then I've read up on this eye rinse stuff for reptiles from the pet store: Flukers Repti-Rinse I think... Would that work?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She has some paper towels temporarily until I can get her some new substrate this weekend. She has a long tube fixture for UVB and her basking bulb is the same kind I've been using ever since I got her and she's been fine with it... She recently had some little pieces of shed on her face she was in the process of getting off, I'm thinking she may have scratched around her eye trying to get it off maybe? I'll try the of the water and honey mixture, how thick does it need to be? Until then I've read up on this eye rinse stuff for reptiles from the pet store: Flukers Repti-Rinse I think... Would that work?
Waste of money for the eye rinse regular saline solution works good --- she probably has scratched the eye - use the honey / water mixture so its a runny/ semi consistency how old is the UVB bulb ? Brand and bulb please ? Distance and placement is determined by your screen and the bulb your using

LeaK

Bearded Dragon Egg
Waste of money for the eye rinse regular saline solution works good --- she probably has scratched the eye - use the honey / water mixture so its a runny/ semi consistency how old is the UVB bulb ? Brand and bulb please ? Distance and placement is determined by your screen and the bulb your using
I don't know off the top of my head how old it is to be honest, though it probably wouldn't hurt for me to get a new one this weekend as well. I'll have to check and see what the brand is... It's Zoo Med 24"/610mm reptisun 10.0 UVB

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Definitely make sure there's no crickets or other bugs in there bc they will try to find the wound. Neosporin works ok but maybe try to find terramycin with it being so close to the eye

LeaK

Bearded Dragon Egg
Definitely make sure there's no crickets or other bugs in there bc they will try to find the wound. Neosporin works ok but maybe try to find terramycin with it being so close to the eye
No bugs in there so she's good in that department. I used Neosporin once (after a lot of google research to make sure it was ok ) and I think that may have been what helped the swelling go down a bit from what it used to be. I'll be sure to look for the other stuff tho

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't know off the top of my head how old it is to be honest, though it probably wouldn't hurt for me to get a new one this weekend as well. I'll have to check and see what the brand is... It's Zoo Med 24"/610mm reptisun 10.0 UVB
Those need to be changed out every 10-11 months-- where is the uvb? And the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type?

LeaK

Bearded Dragon Egg
Those need to be changed out every 10-11 months-- where is the uvb? And the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type?
Along her lid and it's like a fine mesh I believe. I also picked up some of that saline stuff you recommended the other day, and obviously since the eye itself seems fine I'd just place a little on the swollen area itself yes?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Along her lid and it's like a fine mesh I believe. I also picked up some of that saline stuff you recommended the other day, and obviously since the eye itself seems fine I'd just place a little on the swollen area itself yes?
Rinse her eye w/ it -- the UVB needs to be unobstructed -- NO screen either take the screen off or hang it inside -- 12-15 inches directly above her basking decor piece -- I am going to have Tracie the vet tech on the board take a look at her eye - see what she can recommend

LeaK

Bearded Dragon Egg
Rinse her eye w/ it -- the UVB needs to be unobstructed -- NO screen either take the screen off or hang it inside -- 12-15 inches directly above her basking decor piece -- I am going to have Tracie the vet tech on the board take a look at her eye - see what she can recommend
I mean I'll try but she likes to try and climb out plus I have cats (not that they go in my room unsupervised but still) so I don't know how I'm going to accomplish that Would I be able to send a pic of the lid to you?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I mean I'll try but she likes to try and climb out plus I have cats (not that they go in my room unsupervised but still) so I don't know how I'm going to accomplish that Would I be able to send a pic of the lid to you?
Post a pic of the screen from above please

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Sorry your girl is having some eye trouble!
I agree, it looks like she possibly rubbed it or scratched it on something. Try using some warmed & thinned out raw unpasteurized honey to help with any possible infection.
You can also get some chamomile tea bags & using one to moisten & warm up, make an eye compact to place on the eye at night for a few minutes. You can cover the tea bag with a washcloth to help hold in some gentle heat. There are
healing properties in chamomile.

Tracie

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Any updates on your dragon's eye for us?
I hope you are able to get some saline solution to try & get it rinsed out so it doesn't get infected.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Latest posts