• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Zoo Med Daylight blue

Stacy07

Bearded Dragon Egg
Someone asked me about this bulb today Zoo Med Daylight Blue light 60w. The pet store sold it to them for a juvie beardie. I am not familiar with this light so I couldn't offer much help. What are your thoughts? They sold her that one and the Exo Terra Reptile UVB 150. I'm guess they sold the blue one to her for basking? Please help me advise her properly.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
She really needs a tube style UVB bulb. The UVB should really cover about two thirds of the tank, with a coil bulb that isn't going to happen. You want the lighting to mimic natural light as much as possible. I know on FB someone asked about using the blue light for a beardie but I don't remember what the outcome was. I have used them before for my frogs and it puts off a good light but the bulb itself is cheap and blows out very easily.

Stacy07

Bearded Dragon Egg
Did they intend the blue one for the basking? I am in the process of adding tube light to my own tanks. I can't decide whether to use a hood or mount them inside.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think they were intending on using the blue light for basking. I used it for heat and light with my frogs but they don't bask.

As far as your UVB choice goes, it all depends on the type of bulb you get. A reptisun 10.0 HO T8 bulb would give you more UVB mounted inside the tank because the mesh top blocks out a lot of the UVB. A reptisun 10.0 T5 bulb can be put on top of the tank because it gives off more UVB and penetrates the mesh more. If you put it inside try to mount it above the bearded dragons head. They have ridges over there eyes that help protect them for the "sun".

Stacy07

Bearded Dragon Egg
So inside the tank it should be above head so it can't be mounted on the back wall up high?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No it really needs to be from above them