• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

zoo med cage carpet?

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
(im sorry in advance if i put this in the wrong category) i was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with the cage carpet. it is much cheaper than what i have, i saw a review saying it was very thin and not very good and i was just wondering if thats true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Like Repticarpet? I use it in one of my tanks. It is a little hard to spot clean when they poop on it because it kinda soaks into it. The tank I use it in, my beardie doesn't poop in the tank. Sometimes she snags her nails on it. But it looks nice and you can just take it out and vacuum off the crumbs that are left on it and you can throw it in the washer to clean it or clean it by hand in the tub.

I use non adhesive shelf liner in my other tanks.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Like Repticarpet? I use it in one of my tanks. It is a little hard to spot clean when they poop on it because it kinda soaks into it. The tank I use it in, my beardie doesn't poop in the tank. Sometimes she snags her nails on it. But it looks nice and you can just take it out and vacuum off the crumbs that are left on it and you can throw it in the washer to clean it or clean it by hand in the tub.

i currently use repticarpet and the cage carpet literally just looks like a cheaper version of it, im just trying to find things to put in the tank that hell enjoy more and make the tank look more lively/less bare

Mom2Dovakiin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I used vinyl tile for the entire floor and have a section with the repti-carpet so there's choices. My baby seems to enjoy pooping on the vinyl so it's so easy to clean at this point.
I think the thing I like best about the vinyl is that it is stuck on the floor of the tank and doesn't allow little bugs to hide under it.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I used vinyl tile for the entire floor and have a section with the repti-carpet so there's choices. My baby seems to enjoy pooping on the vinyl so it's so easy to clean at this point.
I think the thing I like best about the vinyl is that it is stuck on the floor of the tank and doesn't allow little bugs to hide under it.

You need to be careful with the glue on the back of the vinyl flooring, it's going to be under the heat all day and could become toxic. Also, make sure there is enough grip on the flooring because it can hurt their legs if they are sliding around too much on their floor.

Mom2Dovakiin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I agree Patsy, there is definitely enough grip, he doesn't slide at all.
I didn't like the idea of repti-carpet over the entire thing because I was worried he'd get a nail caught attempting to catch bugs.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
You need to be careful with the glue on the back of the vinyl flooring, it's going to be under the heat all day and could become toxic. Also, make sure there is enough grip on the flooring because it can hurt their legs if they are sliding around too much on their floor.
does putting ceramic tile under the vinyl flooring or whatever you want to put keep it warmer? because my room is gonna get pretty cold

Mom2Dovakiin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I actually have a space heater for those nights that it may get a bit low in the temp regions. Thankfully I don't have to worry about it too much as my office is the warmest room in the house. I relate to lizards because I'm a bit cold blooded myself so like it warmer than most people lol.
I do know ceramic tiles hold heat a bit better than vinyl, but if you just keep an eye on temps you should be fine :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
does putting ceramic tile under the vinyl flooring or whatever you want to put keep it warmer? because my room is gonna get pretty cold

Just use the ceramic tile no need to buy two different tiles. Ceramic is good to use because it does retain some heat and it provides traction and is easy to clean and there is no toxic glue on the back of it that could slowly kill your dragon.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea ceramic tile will hold the heat in pretty good, You want the temp to drop at nighttime, as long as it doesn't go below 65F they will be fine. my night time temps will dip to 70F most nights..

Faerieweird

Bearded Dragon Egg
My biggest issue is the repticarpet won't sit flat and those pesky crickets keep going under it. Any sugestions on how to resolve this issue?

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
My biggest issue is the repticarpet won't sit flat and those pesky crickets keep going under it. Any sugestions on how to resolve this issue?
mine would sit pretty flat if i actually took the time to trim it, but what i do is put some hides around the edges so they stay flat.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club

I trim the carpet so that it actually fits the bottom of the tank and then I put tile pieces on the corners to help keep it lay flat.

TinySmaugOfficial

Hatchling Dragon

I actually use repticarpet as well and considering that smaug’ll only poo in his water, I haven’t had any problems with cleaning. I think it’s good.

TinySmaugOfficial

Hatchling Dragon
mine would sit pretty flat if i actually took the time to trim it, but what i do is put some hides around the edges so they stay flat.

The best remedy for this is to buy a bigger piece then you actually need and trimming, thats what I did.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A textured NON adhesive shelf liner needs to be used --- NOTHING w/ glue on the back --- slated ceramic tile is also good but it needs to be cut to tank size and cut w/ a tile cutter -- both can be cleaned w/ a vinegar/ water mix 50/50 -the repti carpet gets expensive to replace and dragons tend to get their nails caught in it a lot ---