• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Zenhabitats 4x2x4 OR 8x2x2?

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
Hey!

I currently have a 4x2x4 home for my beardie but I was planning to upgrade to two 4x2x2 so his tank is 8x2x2.

Just wanting suggestions if the 8x2x2 would be better than the 4x2x4? Of course it would be twice as long which is awesome, but i know beardies love to climb and he will lose 2 feet of climbing area by getting a shorter tank height wise.

My assumption is the 8x2x2 is the way to go anyways but, thoughts please!

Photo of my Yoshi for attention

Attachments

• 20201027_200232.jpg
    20201027_200232.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20201014_142349_165.jpg
    IMG_20201014_142349_165.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey!

I currently have a 4x2x4 home for my beardie but I was planning to upgrade to two 4x2x2 so his tank is 8x2x2.

Just wanting suggestions if the 8x2x2 would be better than the 4x2x4? Of course it would be twice as long which is awesome, but i know beardies love to climb and he will lose 2 feet of climbing area by getting a shorter tank height wise.

My assumption is the 8x2x2 is the way to go anyways but, thoughts please!

Photo of my Yoshi for attention
I personally would leave him in the 4x2x2 tank --- your gonna haft to deal w/ lighting and basking areas and trying to maintain temps may be a little harder to do and if hes losing height then those things I mentioned will be harder to do but that is me --

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
The UVB lights are going to be expensive since you'll need so many to cover the space (or a few MVB bulbs) and high wattage bulbs. You'll also need a ton of substrate and the tanks will take a long time to clean. Because of the large space, you'll also need more hide areas, climbing things, etc., and feeders will have more places to hide. An 8x4 would be an amazing size, but it might be better to give him more space in a different way. Instead of combining two enclosures, you can put a playpen in front of the tank that he can crawl into when the door is open.