• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Would this aquarium work for a juvenile?

September

Bearded Dragon Egg
A friend of my moms who keeps snakes gave me this aquarium when it got a crack in it, as he has plenty of spares laying around. However, I don't exactly know what size it is, gallon wise. And I don't have a tape measure. I patched the crack and was gonna use it for my hamster, but then I got to thinking that it might could work for a juvenile beardie. What do you think? (I know it's dirty, but I have a bit of time to scrub it thoroughly before bringing home my beardie lol)

fishytank002.jpg

fishytank001.jpg

I put a softball in it for a rough size comparison, in hopes of giving you an idea of how big it is.
fishytank003.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It looks like it would definitely be big enough, but would need measurements to be sure, pics can be deceiving ;). Going by the 2x6 decking, it looks like it could be a 40 gal Breeder tank which would work well to house up to & including an adult BD.

September

Bearded Dragon Egg
Awesome! :) When it becomes what other people deem a 'reasonable' hour (am I the only one who wakes up at 5? lol), I'll go borrow my uncles tape measure and get the measurements

September

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've got *approximate* measurements (bearing in mind I haven't used a tape measure since 8th grade woodshop) and they are:
Length-35.5"
Width-17.5"
Height-16.5"

(all in inches)

September

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sooo... It could work for an adult too? (I was thinking it was a 20 gallon lol-can you tell it's the first aquarium I've ever gotten?)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes it would be the minimum acceptable size to house an adult BD in.

September

Bearded Dragon Egg
Alright! Though I still plan to grab a 55 the first $/gallon sale I find :)

Does that mean I would need to divide it for a juvenile bd?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That enclosure (4.5 square feet) has more floor space than a 55 Gallon (4 square feet), so you are better off to stick with this one.

You don't have to divide it off, just don't clutter it with junk, stick with the K.I.S.S. setup method & and a juvenile will be just fine. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

My six hatchlings\juveniles are all housed separately in 4-6 square foot enclosures & are doing just fine.

September

Bearded Dragon Egg
Huh.. how weird.. Yeah, I'll stick with this one then :)

And I know all about the K.I.S.S. system. I may have stalked this forum a bit before actually joining :cool: I was planning to just put in a rock, or maybe two stacked on top of each other for basking, until he was bigger and good at hunting. And then I was gonna slowly add things in, as he got used to hunting with each thing. Or would it be better to add them all at once when he gets bigger??

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A 55 Gallon aquarium's volume is more in height, which in not as important as floor space in this application. BDs really don't need much to be comfortable, if your temps & UVB are correct, an acceptable substrate, a rock, a basking spot & a food dish is really all they need to be happy. All the rest is fluff for the benefit of the keeper's viewing. The more you put in, the harder & more time you will spend cleaning, rather than spending quality time with your pet.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Different keepers use different items for basking spots & yes some use rocks. I use branches (Fake & real), hollow half logs & driftwood which allows me to get them higher without stacking rocks, closer to the UVB bulb. But I have a good sized rock or 2 in each enclosure, to work as an emery board, to help keep their claws in check.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Leaning into a corner or on something, depend on the shape of it & how many branch offs it has. Prop the end against the rock, use your imagination ;). Most of mine are fake anyway & self standing. If you click on my signature below & it will take you to my website, there are many pics of my BDs & their enclosures to give you some ideas, along with lots of good info.

September

Bearded Dragon Egg
Awesome, thanks :) And I was planning on using newspaper as substrate until I can use sand, how thickly should I lay it down?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Newspaper - 1 layer, the more layers, the more places for feeders to hide under

Sand - depths of 2" to 6"