• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Would a Bearded Dragon enclosure made of just Hardwood planks be safe?

Tanmanz

Bearded Dragon Egg
The more I read about enclosures the harder it gets for me to find one I am happy with and feel comfortable putting my beardy into, with that said, I was wondering if I bought hardwood planks and built an enclosure with just them and nails, if it was safe for my bearded dragon?

nye

Hatchling Dragon
There's a lot of tutorials on YouTube on how to build your own tank. Plenty of people use melamine planks. You just have to make sure to seal it correctly with reptile safe glue and allow for plenty of ventilation.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The more I read about enclosures the harder it gets for me to find one I am happy with and feel comfortable putting my beardy into, with that said, I was wondering if I bought hardwood planks and built an enclosure with just them and nails, if it was safe for my bearded dragon?
He needs an enclosure (Heat & UVB) Asap and it needs to be comfy; terry cloth towels as a substrate, baby pillows, fleece blanket And a basking platform, a digital thermometer & a digital hygrometer placed on the hot side. Himdity needs to be 30-40’bwvwr higher than 40. Without an enclosure he will get an URInfection, and MBD. Buy a clear Heat bulb (Zoomed) and proper UVB (Reptisun 10.0 T5) it’s a long tubular bulb; asap!!! The Ivb needs replacing every “6” mnths or the Beardie will get NO Uvb and eventually die. Get a glass enclosure $170 from Petsmart it’s a 40 gallon & the doors open in the front; it should be bigger but get this for now and get those bulbs asap. Both lights on in the summer for 12-14 hours; more like 14 & off at nite and in the winter leave both on for 10-12 hours more like 10 because they have less energy in the winter sometimes and always off at nite. Try and have them on rite at the same morning times. Without heat he cannot eat or digest his food or poop and without UvB he will get MBD; brittle Bones, have no calcium or be able to breakdown the calcium & will get tremors, shakes, brittle bones and eventually death. People think Beardies are like dogs ans cats no They are not. Use white terry cloth towels as the substrate and lots of crickets and Dubai roaches dusted in repcalCalcium powder 3times a week/once per day on the feeders, buy it from petco and a fresh plate of greens & veggies. Seems like u just got the beardie and didn’t read about husbandry care; they cannot go more than a day without Uvb or heat. Baths twice per week in very lightly warm water for 15min minimum in dechlorinated water get Reptisafe if u don’t have a filter system. More baths when he’s shedding. Here’s a pic of my setup for 2 dragons I have….

Attachments

• A7F95254-A8A1-4FB8-9123-058A1719B36E.jpeg
    A7F95254-A8A1-4FB8-9123-058A1719B36E.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 2D31F6D9-73CD-4849-8153-1C6A4C7EAE1B.jpeg
    2D31F6D9-73CD-4849-8153-1C6A4C7EAE1B.jpeg
    791 KB · Views: 4